Fuel Pickup And Return Pipes

Guest smartfazer

Guest smartfazer

Hi All,

I have the GBSC's rectangular alloy fuel tank, and was wondering how, what, where, why people have attached their fuel pickup and return pipes into the tank.

Looking at the tank, it only has the two holes, 1 for the filler and the other for the sender.

Am I going to have to send the beastie away to get one additional fuel outlet (pickup pipe) and one inlet (return pipe)?

Why didn't GBS do this when they had the tanks made :huh:

Sorry if this has been asked before. I searched but could not find the answer.

Does anybody have any photo's of their's?

Krgds

Steve

Guest smartfazer

Thanks Guys and thanks John. I might take you up on that one.

I have the set of ETB gauges which come with their own sender.

Will the Sierra one work with it?

Steve

Steve,

I'd be surprised if the sierra sender would work. You could always try it on the bench. If it helps, below are photos of what I did. It is a bought sender, and I added supply and return pipes to it. It was fiddly but works fine. To adapt it to the hole in the RH tank I made a plate which was metal epoxied onto the tank. HTH, Brian

IMG_1877.jpg

IMG_1878.jpg

Guest Techmage
It is a bought sender, and I added supply and return pipes to it.

Where did you get the fittings that you have put through the sender ?

I also have the RH tank and a rather old and rusty sierra sender (so if the sender on offer isn't taken can I have second bags, and I'm even closer). I've been looking for fittings like that to add a vent pipe to the tank, I'm sure it's going to need

one.

Guest smartfazer

Brian,

That does help, thanks. But like "techmage", where did you get the fittings? The job looks very neat.

Techmage,

As you are that close to John, please feel free to contact him, and please take first refusal on the sender.

I think what I'd like to do is find a friend with a TIG welder or get a quote from an engineering shop and add 3 additional pipes to the tank.

I guess Araldite and a Soldering Iron wouldn't work :lol: :lol: :lol:

Where did you get the fittings that you have put through the sender ?

I also have the RH tank and a rather old and rusty sierra sender (so if the sender on offer isn't taken can I have second bags, and I'm even closer). I've been looking for fittings like that to add a vent pipe to the tank, I'm sure it's going to need

one.

You are more than welcome to it, it's only got very light surface rust so hopefully will meet your needs. I will drop you a PM with my details. Cheers

John

Guest smartfazer

Just had another thought on this.

I might leave the original sender hole and use it for the ETB fuel sender anyway.

Then purchase (or obtain) another with the pickup and return pipes and just drill/cut another hole in the top of the tank (and not use/wire up the gauge sender on this one). If that makes sense.

The only trouble I am seeing with this, is that nobody seems to do a sender where you attach with a gasket and 6 bolts. They are all clip in or screw in.

Might see what ETB can do.

Also took notice today that the GBS fuel tank I have does not have any baffles in it either. Has/does this cause anybody any problems at all?