Iva - Fail At Leighton Buzzard

Guest Noddy006

Guest Noddy006

Hi Folks Just got back from the IVA for my Sub K. Whilst it failed, nothing too drastic. One front brake reading too low and one rear handbtake not too good. Guess it means a strip of calipers and new seals though not leaking. Plus about 10 different liitle things like REAR of number plate light not rounded enough and also a chromed plastic backing plate I bought for the number plate from CBS as SVA o.k. is not BIG enough for the plate template they check with. Also one or two to watch is a. The brake fluid cylinder has to be marked with the right picture label (I had put a stamped alli plate on a servo bolt). b. The fog light has to work on both full AND dipped beams not the old dipped only. Can anyone advise best wireing for this. Hopefully couple of weeks and can get it retested. (Depends on work commitments).

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers

Ian H

Guest Noddy006

Another problem area was the the position of the indicator repeaters. Mine are fitted in the side of the bonnet (half way between the nose cone and scuttle). It appears that when checked from the rear and only slightly to one side (Looking at the same height as the repeaters) you must be able to see the light. Trouble is the back wing gets in the way. Suggested remedy is to put the repeaters in the top of the front wings.

Cheers

Ian H

Guest Noddy006
Hi ian ,good result soon be on the road ;) re the fog light can they be wired to the side light circuit ? just checked on my road car and they work that way.

john

Hello John. I am not sure about wiring into the side light circuit as the fog light could be on with just sides. I believe it is just required with full head and dipped. I guess it means playing with another relay. Time will tell.

Ian H

Just been looking at the online iva manual , and it does say they must be on dip and main beam but doesn't mention anything about side lights . just checked again on 08 fiesta rear comes on with sidelights but only if the front fogs are on. The westie works on dip and main

Method of Inspection

Required Standard

Carry out a visual check of the rear fog lamps fitted to the vehicle for operation, colour, number and correct positioning. This includes optional lamps.

With optional lamps check that fitment is permitted and they do not exceed the maximum number of lamps allowed to be fitted

Note 1: This may be achieved by a pictogram (see section 33) or a word type format, the tell tale may be any colour providing it cannot be confused with any other tell tale.

Note 2: This does not apply to mass produced North American Vehicle’s approved with either FMVSS or CMVSS:

when the fog lamp has been produced by conversion of a brake lamp,

or

evidence that the lamp gives suitable intensity has been provided.

Rear fog lamps;

They must be operational

The correct number must be fitted to the vehicle (Table 1)

The lamp(s) must illuminate in conjunction with dipped beam.

The lamp(s) must illuminate in conjunction with main beam.

The lamp(s) must illuminate in conjunction with front fog lamps (if fitted).

They must not be affected by switching on or off any other lamps (except those detailed in RS 3,4 and 5)

Must be capable of being switched off independently of any other lamp

They must only emit a red light

They must be positioned correctly to meet

a.

the positional requirements of Table 1

b.

the angles of visibility requirements of Table 1

Must be fitted with an operational “tell-tale” lamp (non-flashing) visible from the driving position