Wont Start

Guest FIRSTBUILD

Guest FIRSTBUILD

Hi can anyone please help, I have an efi that wont start even though it seems to have all the right ingredients !

I have triple checked the rotor position against TDC

The fuel pump runs and stops - then runs again when you turn the engine/distributor - the injectors make a click noise just before the spark.

The leads are correct for the firing order and there is a spark on all four.

The tappets are set - checked twice.

The cam timing is right.

The battery is lazy but spins it over.

any comments please ?

thanks Steve Hall

I had the same problem with mine. If you are absolutely positive that everything is set right then try this. Get someone to turn the ignition key while you turn the distributor, be careful of pulleys etc. Mine was just a little bit out but soon fired up this way and now runs great.

Regards

Pete

Another couple of thoughts which may help ... is the fuel actually getting into the fuel rail and through the injectors? Ok, the pump's running, and the injectors are clicking, but a blockage somewhere may be the problem. Check this by taking a pipe off the fuel rail - fuel should run out of the rail if it's been filled up when you last tried to start the engine. If that's ok, are the spark plugs getting wet after you've tried to start it? They should be!

Another EFi fuel problem which I've heard of in the past is the connections onto the fuel rail. The feed in from the pump goes through the micron filter and onto the open end of the rail. The return line goea at the pressure regulator valve end. If these are the wrong way round this would explain your problem.

Ant

Guest FIRSTBUILD

thanks for your help Ant, tonight I took the plugs out and put them on the engine - turned on the ignition and rotated the engine ,it seems as if the plugs spark twice ? but I think its when the rotor makes with the cap and then breaks . I was rotating it backwards to double check !

Some times it seems as if you cant see the wood for the trees so Ithink I will remove the distributor and start the whole ignition timing process again-I think a new battery will help to and I will get one at the weekend.

Steve Hall

Guest FIRSTBUILD

Hi thanks for the suggestions but tonight it started !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and ran and ticked over for 30 minutes !!!!!!!!!!! what a buzz --------- unreal

I think my Haynes manual is wrong ref the timing (must be a miss print !!)

seriously I think I had the ignition timing to far out .

I do have a problem though - the dip stick has been hit and bent ! this must be the crank thats hit it and I must have bent the tube whilst fitting the engine but I dont know which way to bend it back again or does it rotate in the block ??

not a big problem but it could have been if the end of the stick broke off, I think I will try to align it by useing a welding rod as a dip stick and then get another from the breakers

Now that the engine runs I reckon another 200 hours and I will drive it !!!

Steve Hall

Great stuff Steve, I remember when mine fired up for the first time. The deep roar scared the wifes cats to death - nearly! Two years later and I am driving mine on the road. Hope you don't have to wait that long. See you out there one day.

Good luck

Pete