Internet Explorer Help

Guest Paul Morgan

Guest Paul Morgan

Got an automatic update for internet explorer 8 today so I installed it and lost connection and could not get it back, so I openend windows in safe mode and did a system restore to saturday. Internet is now working again, but I only have my google toolbar on the top and no explorer toolbar so I can't get into tools/internet option's, on the history toolbar down the left hand side there no text against the 'Last week, yesterday, today icons). Also if I click an attached .pdf file just a blank screen opens.

Right clicking on the explorer icon on my desktop and selecting internet properties does nothing, as does double clicking internet options in control panel.

I have also just noticed that some of the function on my keyboard like the delete key and Ctrl V (paste) have stopped working.

I have tried a couple more system restores to other dates but they have not worked. :(

Anyone any ideas ??

Paul

Hi,

if you aren't too worried about using something different to IE you could try Firefox web browser, Opera or Google Chrome which all do the same job but with slightly different features. I personally love firefox. Obviously you need to get on the internet to download these. If you download one of these and install it you could then completely uninstall IE and then download a new copy and re-install it from scratch hopefully sorting the problem (if you indeed want to go back to IE).

HTH

Got an automatic update for internet explorer 8 today so I installed it and lost connection and could not get it back, so I openend windows in safe mode and did a system restore to saturday. Internet is now working again, but I only have my google toolbar on the top and no explorer toolbar so I can't get into tools/internet option's, on the history toolbar down the left hand side there no text against the 'Last week, yesterday, today icons). Also if I click an attached .pdf file just a blank screen opens.

Right clicking on the explorer icon on my desktop and selecting internet properties does nothing, as does double clicking internet options in control panel.

I have also just noticed that some of the function on my keyboard like the delete key and Ctrl V (paste) have stopped working.

I have tried a couple more system restores to other dates but they have not worked. :(

Anyone any ideas ??

Paul

To get to the File, edit,tools etc try using the short cut keys Alt +f goes to File - for some reason MS have decided that the "old fashioned" navigation is not required!

Personally I would firstly try a reinstall of IE8 or more likely, get the data off of the system, my documents, favourites, email folder etc and then reinstall windows completly!

I know it is a big job but at least you get a clean install - just remember that you will need all of the driver disks (Most importantly the Network card to get you back on to the internet) and then when you have rebuilt Windows Install and Anti virus FIRST and then get all of the MS down loads. It will take a while - if you have an older reinstall set of CD'swith Windows XP SP2 then expect to do in the region of 130 updates!!

If you need any further advice then go ahead - its a big part of my day job!

Andy

Guest Paul Morgan

Thanks for the advice Gents,

My computer won't let me download Firefox or Google chrome, got the following error message :-

PLATFORM VERSION INFO

Windows : 5.1.2600.196608 (Win32NT)

Common Language Runtime : 2.0.50727.42

System.Deployment.dll : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)

mscorwks.dll : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)

dfdll.dll : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)

dfshim.dll : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)

SOURCES

Deployment url : http://dl.google.com/update2/1.2.183.7/Goo...%26brand%3DCHMA

ERROR SUMMARY

Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.

* Activation of http://dl.google.com/update2/1.2.183.7/Goo...%26brand%3DCHMA resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:

+ Downloading http://dl.google.com/update2/1.2.183.7/Goo...&brand=CHMA did not succeed.

+ Unable to connect to the remote server

+ No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

Tried the Alt F but it doesn't work. Didn't realy want to rebuild it as I only did this about 8 months ago and it was a pain re-installing all the drivers.

Paul