Sierra 2.0l Pinto........ When To When?

Shaft

Hi all, firstly, may i take this opportunity to say what a great site this is. Hope you can all cope with the many and varied questions i'll no doubt be asking over the coming month's. LOL.

Just registered as i'm going to build a 2B+ (hopefully this side of christmas i'll order my kit :D ) just need to get rid of my offroad race motor first.

Anyway..................... could somebody please tell me what year's Ford fitted the 2l pinto to the Sierra?? loads of Sierra's around but not sure if i would be looking at the right one??

Well, there's my 1st question over with. I look forward to joining the club in the not to distant future.

For reference, i live in Derbyshire, so if any one nearby, hello. :)

Regards,

Nick.

:lol:

Guest mcramsay

if you want exact dates then wikipedia has them all! if your just wanting to find a sierra with a pinto engine, then thats easy peasy, find a few pics of a sierra with a pinto on yahoo images, some sierras had a double over head cam engine which is big and bulky, the pinto is single over head cam and is an easy engine to spot. have a look at a few on ebay! generally any 1.6 or 2.0 sierra will be a pinto

if you want exact dates then wikipedia has them all! if your just wanting to find a sierra with a pinto engine, then thats easy peasy, find a few pics of a sierra with a pinto on yahoo images, some sierras had a double over head cam engine which is big and bulky, the pinto is single over head cam and is an easy engine to spot. have a look at a few on ebay! generally any 1.6 or 2.0 sierra will be a pinto

Thanks mcramsay. just been reading about a '205' block. Is this something special?? the article said it's the best block for tuning?? where these in Sierra's or pre Sierra??

I said my questions would be many and varied!! lol.

Guest Ian & Carole
Anyway..................... could somebody please tell me what year's Ford fitted the 2l pinto to the Sierra?? loads of Sierra's around but not sure if i would be looking at the right one??

Regards,

Nick.

That question is simple 1983, it was fitted into the very 1st run of Sierras, before that it lived in the MK3, 4, 5 Cortina. MK 2 & 3 Capris and the 2litre Consuls and Granada, so you can take the Pinto right back to the early 70's .

205 is the one to go for if you can find one, much stronger engine in every way and if you can find an injection one it has unleaded valve seats.

Derby has a regular meet for owners, get your self along and say "hello".

Guest mcramsay

i think the 205 block was a stronger block, and had a bit more material so it could be bored out a little bit more to fit larger pistons, they seem to be getting quite rare now, but there are a few on ebay from time to time. i think you only want to go down that route if your into serioious engine tunning. to be honest the pinto is an old engine now, yeah its a great engine and you can get alot of power from one but it all ends up costing a lot lf money. you can get a brand new zetec engine from GBSC for around 800 quid. run that on throttle bodies and a decent ecu or even just twin 40's and you have alot more power than you would get from a pinto. thats the route im going at the moment!

i think the 205 block was a stronger block, and had a bit more material so it could be bored out a little bit more to fit larger pistons, they seem to be getting quite rare now, but there are a few on ebay from time to time. i think you only want to go down that route if your into serioious engine tunning. to be honest the pinto is an old engine now, yeah its a great engine and you can get alot of power from one but it all ends up costing a lot lf money. you can get a brand new zetec engine from GBSC for around 800 quid. run that on throttle bodies and a decent ecu or even just twin 40's and you have alot more power than you would get from a pinto. thats the route im going at the moment!

thanks mcramsey, i'm a V8 man myself, comes from my offroad racing. I was thinking of the Pinto only because it would be in the donor car and would bin it after IVA when i can really set too on designing my motor to work rather than be all squidgy and soft so the nice man doesn't cut himself!! sorry............. going off on one there a bit lol.

You say £800 for a zetec???? according to website kit price they want £2200. not questioning you at all, just if thats the case, i can feel a change of engine number on the Sierra's V5c coming on. :p

Guest oddsocks
thanks mcramsey, i'm a V8 man myself, comes from my offroad racing. I was thinking of the Pinto only because it would be in the donor car and would bin it after IVA when i can really set too on designing my motor to work rather than be all squidgy and soft so the nice man doesn't cut himself!! sorry............. going off on one there a bit lol.

You say £800 for a zetec???? according to website kit price they want £2200. not questioning you at all, just if thats the case, i can feel a change of engine number on the Sierra's V5c coming on. :p

I just bought new zetec from GBS and i think the £2200 must be with the throttle bodies and ecu coz i paid £700 for engine. Which is not a bad price now when you look at it. I got to buy throttle bodies and ecu. but i gonna wait til i need them, got alot to do before then!!

Guest mcramsay

the 2200 is for the zetec, emerald ecu and jenvey throttle bodies, which is a really really good set up. jenvey are a good make of throttle body and also bolt straight to the head. however i there are cheaper ways of doing it, i got a set of yamaha r1 throttle bodies from ebay for 30 quid, (which was a bargan as most buy it nows are 120 quid) and the bodies are virtually brand new. so yeah carrying on, i bought an emerald from GBSC for 550 (that is including VAT) and then finally to top it off i just need a manifold from GBSC which is around 100 quid, so in total i will have a pretty good set up for around 1500, also im finding it much more fun than working on a pinto engine (which im fairly up to speed with after restoring an old ford capri!) theres more to it than just bolting on an inlet manifold and tipping some petrol in the carb, its more complicated but its too hard. good for an experienced amateur!

the 2200 is for the zetec, emerald ecu and jenvey throttle bodies, which is a really really good set up. jenvey are a good make of throttle body and also bolt straight to the head. however i there are cheaper ways of doing it, i got a set of yamaha r1 throttle bodies from ebay for 30 quid, (which was a bargan as most buy it nows are 120 quid) and the bodies are virtually brand new. so yeah carrying on, i bought an emerald from GBSC for 550 (that is including VAT) and then finally to top it off i just need a manifold from GBSC which is around 100 quid, so in total i will have a pretty good set up for around 1500, also im finding it much more fun than working on a pinto engine (which im fairly up to speed with after restoring an old ford capri!) theres more to it than just bolting on an inlet manifold and tipping some petrol in the carb, its more complicated but its too hard. good for an experienced amateur!

Nice sounding set up. How far with your build are you??

I've just sold my Bowler (offroad racer) tonight, so it's all systems go on a visit to RH and sourcing a Sierra. :D

On the Zetec note, i've now seen them from GBSC on Ebay for £700 or best offer. might offer £600 lol.

Where abouts are you??

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Shaft, i'm only in hucknall so not far from you in Heanor.......... I've got a 2.0 pinto on weber carbs if you ever fancy a look and a listen and a spin to see what a pinto powered 2B is like then give me a shout and we'll maybe sort something! Still not made it along to a meet yet but hopefully will someday................

Keith

Shaft, if you are planning to swap engines after IVA then go for the oldest Pinto you can find, that way the emissions on your MOT will be virtually smoke test only for ever.

Its the engine age at IVA that sets your cars emission levels, any engine later than 1995 will require a Cat and fuel injection.