V6

Grizzly

Hi All,

A collegue at work is refurbishing a TVR from the ground up. As part of this exercise, he's sourced a Cosworth V6 lump.

He's offered me the following (could be many months away) FOC:

Ford Cologne 2.9 12V with Type 9 box. 93,000 miles. It has EFI including the Loom & ECU.

Good opportunity to check the clutch out etc, but feel a bit daunted as regards to the engine with this amount of mileage.

Initial thoughts:

I've asked if the headers are included.

I'm not sure what would need to done with engine mounts?

Obviously, I'd need to source an additional exhaust can and re-fabricated piping etc.

I'd also need a 6 cylinder Rev Counter (Capri?).

I'm sure there's probably a heap of other stuff to consider?

This lump should give me around 170bhp.

I'm already intending to enhance the front braking system and get some decent tyres anyway.

Fully realise that Big Lee will be shouting at me to 'Go for it!' :D

Comments appreciated.

TIA...

Actually I'm not. You dont know the state of the internals and no real way of checking. It is a high lump - look at how much I have had to raise my car. Will need quite a bit of work to get far back into to engine bay like mine - possible removal of servo - possibe floor mounted pedals etc. Will need spends on exhausts x 2. Even if lump is free I would be budgeting on £500 to get it in and running. and then you will want to do gaskets and paint etc. It's a heavy lump although for a road car - that's a good thing - keeps the nose down at speed. For 170BHP you can get a 4 pot xe lump, Zetec or similar that looks lost in the engine bay. If I way going doen that route again i would do nothing but a 24V Cosworth lump OR a tuned V8 4.5. Just my tuppence worth.

Cheers Lee

Guest robinj66

Go for it - you won't regret the increased power/torque :D

That sort of mileage means there's still some life left in it yet.

I'm not sure about the 2.9 but the bolts on the 2.8 block (for engine mounts) are the same as the pinto.

Go on - join an elite (?) club :crazy: :good: