Raising Sterring Column? Possible?

Guest Rbrown74

Guest Rbrown74

Hi, another query! :rolleyes:

When clutching my knee brushes past the steering wheel and chassis - there isnt much room for my fingers when turning the wheel and clutching plus this is with the standard 10" wheel.

Is it possible to raise the steering column so that I can fit a bigger wheel? I'm thinking of a Boss extension also but I still dont think it'll give me enough room as my knee will still come back too far and hit the wheel. I'm 6'0" tall BTW.

Anyone else modified theirs for this problem? I did a search but couldnt find anything directly related.

many thanks

Rick

Guest Dan_Beeston

Yep, just make a new upper column mount bracket (or modify your existing one) to put the wheel where you want it....

Depending on your cowl/dash arrangement, you may need to do some fettling around this area as column/cowl will probably clash with the dash when you raise it.

Guest smegheadsteve

I have the same problem(I am 6'5" though)

I have already changed my comfy seats for some arse numbing small ones(from tiger racing,basically a piece of wood with some padding!)

This got me lower,and a bit further back,but now I am looking at a steering wheel extension boss from demon tweeks,think it brings it out 60mm,hoping this will clear my knees!

Steve.

Guest Rbrown74
I have the same problem(I am 6'5" though)

I have already changed my comfy seats for some arse numbing small ones(from tiger racing,basically a piece of wood with some padding!)

This got me lower,and a bit further back,but now I am looking at a steering wheel extension boss from demon tweeks,think it brings it out 60mm,hoping this will clear my knees!

Steve.

Both replies much appreciated. gives me two avenues to look into.

many thanks. :D

Hi, I'm 6ft 4in and I built mine with the standard sierra steering wheel and Sierra Ghia seats. I just mounted the Steering column to suit me, then hacked the dash to fit. I've now got lower seats and the smaller Mountney wheel, and there's loads of room.

The only down side, is that the "alligator" style bonnet won't lift very high cos' it hits the steering wheel.

I did drive somebody else's Hood before mine was on the road, and it was a tight squeeze. Every time I tried to brake or use the clutch the car wandered due to moving the steering wheel with my leg.

Nick

Guest adamramoth
Hi, another query! :rolleyes:

When clutching my knee brushes past the steering wheel and chassis - there isnt much room for my fingers when turning the wheel and clutching plus this is with the standard 10" wheel.

Is it possible to raise the steering column so that I can fit a bigger wheel? I'm thinking of a Boss extension also but I still dont think it'll give me enough room as my knee will still come back too far and hit the wheel. I'm 6'0" tall BTW.

Anyone else modified theirs for this problem? I did a search but couldnt find anything directly related.

many thanks

Rick

I have the same problem for which gbs do an adjustable column. Ive seen it, so it does exist, give them a call

Guest Dan_Beeston
I am looking at a steering wheel extension boss from demon tweeks

Joel has just made himself a steering wheel extension boss, drop him a PM if you want details on how to avoid Demon Thieves part prices :)