Wheels

Grizzly

Hi All,

Right. Once I've got my old tyres off the rims and before I get my new tyres fitted, I've been looking into getting my 5 Array Wheels refurbished. A couple of them are pretty much like new, but the other three are blemished due to salt getting under the lacquer and making them look a bit tatty. The problem is that I've been onto a few 'shops' that specialize in this process, but they're all wanting around £50 per wheel and I'm obviously too tight to shell out £250! :D

Nobody will be able to get them back to original spec, as the polished & diamond cut finishes are ex-factory, so I guess I'm just wanting them sprayed really. I don't have a compressor or anything like that, so my question is: Can I do this myself with aerosols or am I just going to have to bite the bullet?

Hi

Have just done a set for swan jnr.

They were new wheels but have changed the colour to black.

Gave them a rub down with wet and dry and used areosol paint.

This was followed with more v fine wet/dry before applying

clear laquer.

Used 3 large cans paint and 1 laquer .

Cost about £9, black from car show laquer from Halfords.

Swan

Guest neil stobbart

One of the guys at work has just had his golf GTI wheels refurbed by a place in Sunderland which included blasting, powdercoating then remachining the face and laqering. Looks a top job - back to OEM finish in fact. I'll get the details for you.

Neil

Guest graham.g

You can get a good finish with aerosols, prep with wet/dry between coats of primer making sure you get a nice smooth surface before the top coats go on, any dimples/orange peel or roughness will show up on the top coats It is time consuming but patience is the key.

Finish of with the lacquer coats for a nice shiny finish. again flatten back between coats.

I did the aeroscreen on my Indy with tin cans and it came out really good.

Graham

PS It's really cold time of year to be spraying, so drying times may be hours longer than the tin says. Try heating up garage.

I have been painting my Zero chassis and the tin said "dry in 6 hours" it took 2 days :o

Guest oshiney2

hi i did a set of motor bike wheels first i took the tyre off and then covered the wheel with nitromores ( leave till the paint bubbles) and then just wash the wheel with water it just lifts off the paint very quickly right back to the alloy then rub down with wet and dry pollish with autosol to a shine you could leave them like that and pollish once a week or laquir to suit thanks obecanobe

Thanks. I've been thinking about this very thing.

Nitromoors - Then get them down to the bare alloy and then get some decent polish onto them (was hoping it'd last longer than a week though :D )

Thanks for all your input guys.