Winter Driving Pt.2

Guest timswait

Guest timswait

The snow we had last week seemed like a great excuse to take the Hood out for a run in the peaks, so three of us set off in two cars (the other being a Pug 205) to find some untracked powder! We drove out from Sheffield on the Ringlow road into the peak district. Not very far out the gritters gave up and we were driving on completely white roads, probably covered in about half an inch of snow. Very strange experience driving without any grip at all, it was dead easy to get very side ways. Good for car control, it slides a long way, but it all happens at such low speeds you get plenty of time to think about what you're doing and to recover it all before you end up in a dry stone wall. No one else was out there, we saw two other cars the whole morning, and they were both 4x4s, they don't know what they're missing out on. We found a couple of empty car parks and amused ourselves doing doughnuts, J turns and handbrake turns, great fun. The Hood got stuck twice, once trying to get up a steep icy hill it ran out of traction and sat, wheels spinning. Low tyre pressures and a person sat on the spare wheel sorted that one out. The other time was when an over ambitous handbrake turn ended in a ditch, but we managed to push it out and no harm was done.

My mate's 205 also coped fantastically well, no shortage of grip, and was able to get up steeper things than I could in the Hood, I reckon I need an LSD before next year, a heater wouldn't go amiss either.

post-11-1075725670.jpg

Looks as though you had great fun. My brother in law has just come back from Austria, (his wife is Austrian) and they made the comment that the only 4x4s you see over there are official type vehicles, everybody else just uses ordinary cars even for dropping the kids off at school! What has gone wrong here?

Peter

Hi Pete,

Well from someone who has the Hood, the RV Jeep(for Mutley really) and a Discovery, I don't have a 'proper' car because they are so BORINGLY alike. :(

ignoring the overpriced top of the market stuff, all the 'normal' cars are designed by bloody computers and wind tunnels, and could be cousins of each other they are so much alike. boring, boring, boring! :angry:

Guest Battery Bill

Jim

I don't have a 'proper' car because they are so BORINGLY alike.

So you won't be wanting a lift to the pub when we get to Wales then :lol: :lol:

Of course if I can get in the car after Joeys been near it :lol: :lol: