Taken Kit Out For First Spin (literally)

Guest mac801123

Guest old_timbo

You can alter the rear toe in and camber by shimming where the hubs bolt to the uprights. If GBS got the geometry right and their jigs turn out repeatably good chassis, wishbones, uprights etc. then all is OK. However I would want to check the end result on any kit car in case there was an unfortunate tolerence build up. 1mm at the hub makes a big difference. Rear Toe out would cause instability under heavy braking and more critically a greater tendency to oversteer. So could have contributed to your prang.

Tim

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest boggybogstar
Looks like the insurance company are trying to recoup a bit........

ebay

Crikey, I havent spoken to Mike for ages but thought he was planning on buying it back, obviously he didnt.

So for £6k and a new base kit from GBS of around £2k you could have it back on the road again, would you need a re-IVA if you change the chassis?

Guest youngsterS3

Hi Mike,

I didn't see this post before at the time of your accident.

I can say now, from experience that it is a painful thing to happen. Having just written off my series 3 that i spent 4yrs building, avoiding a crater when the road was damp. The car is a tub, and thus has been written off. I did manage to get 1800 miles on the clock, so not quite as bad as your situation.

I hope your hip is better and that you are going to try again.

cheers

Chris

Guest gixerboy600
So sad to hear, but main thing is you're out and ok.

It certainly is a big wake up for everyone, and these cars are light, fast, quick off the mark and hard to stop quickly. They are a different breed from your normal daily drive as what has already been said.

As an advanced police pursuit driver and assessor even I got caught out in the first few days of driving mine, and then it had a small carb on it!

If you can afford it, and I wish every one could do it, go and do your advanced driving course with I.A.M. It will be worth every penny and will teach you things you never knew.

Don't take theselittle cars for granted...........THEY BITE

Hope you get the car back on the road and soon, glad you are safe though, best wishes.

Darren

Along a similair vein, when I got my first kit car on the road, many moons ago aged 18, my dad insisted I go on a police three day driver course which incorporated a skid pan day. The days basically consisted of a day looking at accidents, one out on the road being aught how to read the road, look ahead and drive quickly in the conditions and finally a day on a skid pan.

Not sure if these are still available but needless to say I didn't trash my pride and joy, however I seriously feel for those who have had the most unfortunate experience particularly after months of effort and love!!!!

Perhaps Darren can shed some light on whether these courses still run????

Cheers

and good luck

John