Wanted, Small Mig Welder

Guest The Modfather

Guest The Modfather

Am after a small MIG welder, preferably gas, just for hobby use, so nothing industrial :o :o Also if you have spare mask and basic kit to get started.

Many thanks

Darren

Small is not necessarily best for a beginner. I had a 90Amp MIG and could never get decent results on thinner stuff (like bodywork). I finally booked myself on a course at a local college thinking that it was something I didn't know/was doing wrong and was quite surprised when I could run beautiful welds from the word go with their big 3-phase machines. Sort of convinced me it was the welder and not me so I splashed on a 150Amp one from Machinemart and have never looked back since. I gave the little one away but I've had a go with a mates 90Amp one recently (bought because it came top of a review in Practical Classics) and I still can't get decent results - he's kicking himself for not spending the extra and buying one like mine.

Iain

Guest The Modfather

Thanks for the advice Iain. I also heard that the small ones are naff, and was looking at the 150's, but they are quite expensive, and although I actually have nothing to weld just yet, I do have a space in the garage for one :D

I agree with Ian on this had a couple of smallish Sip machines and welding has been a chore and never particularly neat - I learnt to weld with gas a long time ago- and couldn't understand all those people saying what a doddle the Mig job was until Iu sed a decent machine at work with argon which was so easy and so smooth that I too sold off the smallish machines.

Spotted a decent one here the other day

a clarke 160 but in Scotland if you happen to know anyone who is working / holidaying /fancies a drive etc

http://www.jock7s.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=690

also have a look in the forum here

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

and remember the 17.5%vat rate makes better savings at machine mart vat free events- clarke stuf is discounted to vat free price

atb

Mike

Guest The Modfather

I do look on there now and then, but some are going for silly money, even the broken ones. I'm not in a desperate hurry, so I'll bide my time.

Thanks guys

Darren