Remote Brake Servo

Guest The Modfather

Guest Dan_Beeston

Just to clarify, if you want more braking power (all other things remaining equal) you need a smaller master cylinder (as in smaller diameter). This will give you more pedal travel but more brake line pressure

A larger diameter master cylinder will give a shorter pedal stroke as is moves more fluid, but will give lower brake line pressure (pressure = force/area, thus bigger diameter == larger area == lower pressure)

Hope this helps!

Dan

Hi Daz, I have fitted a Zetec and am near the end of sorting the braking out. I have a Westfield master cylinder 0.7” bore with normal calipers on the front, shoes on the rear and a Zero pedal box. I believe the Fiesta Mk 1 uses a 0.7” master cylinder.

I tried the brakes – exceptionally frightening. The car would stop but the pedal pressure required is enormous.

I then spoke to a local garage that builds lotus cars and he explained the basics to me. With a car like mine and a 0.7” master cylinder you really need about a six to one pedal ratio. The zero gives about three to one. I was also advised to fit mintex pads 1144. I asked about fitting a dual circuit remote servo and was told it had been tried but it locked the back wheels.

I came home and ordered a longer brake pedal from laser man and the 1144 pads. Whilst waiting I did some tests, the best pedal ratio I could get was about 4.5 to one. With the Sierra front pads this improved the braking but was not satisfactory. Then I tried it with the 1144 pads – really a lot better. They braked from cold and had a feel about them that have confidence instead of incontinence. I am now waiting for the longer pedal to be welded which will give me a ratio of around 5 to 1 - it should be finished this week. Mitch is coming down to try the car so I will let you know what we think.

Cheers Geoff

Guest The Modfather

Hi Mitch.

I take it that you are a lot closer to doing this than I am, as I'm looking to fit the engine after the summer sun B) and will treat it as a full winter mod.

Let me know please what you end up going for, and the full set-up if you would be so kind, many thanks.

Darren

Hi Daz, Fitted the new pedal today and set up a ratio of 5.5 to 1. The results are brilliant. The car now requires a similar pressure on the pedal to a servo set up and stops no problem.Mitch came and tried it and was impressed.

Cheers Geoff

Guest Alan_builder
I shouldn't think I'll have any problems knowing how to stop or control a car at high speed :D I pursue people at very high speeds for a living :o

I also assess other pursuit drivers to ensure that they can control their vehicles, I'll let you off as you probably didn't know :D :D :D

I would look for one from a smaller car rather than one for a larger car, purely because of the greater loss of vehicle weight. I like your idea Les of using a Fiesta one. I will give it a try and remove the servo vac line. My racing Anglias never had servo's, but they did have 4 pot callipers with drilled and cross vented discs!

Why can't he do 130 on the track? :(

Ian Brooks is on the money. Fit discs, callipers all round and get the system balanced, even use a balance bar.

Your front discs are probably only 240mm, ok Ford only do 255, 265 and 300mm for the sierra but Peugot do some bigger as ford do for other models. With my 15" Arays wheels I may get 320mm discs in but that needs checking out.

Talk when I see you.

I :wub: my :rhsc:

Alan

Guest snotfart

FYI. my lolocost has standard calipers and vented discs with green pads up front,standard drums rear,standard master cyinder no servo.

pedals were shortened stock sierra so the pedal ratio was reduced,i like the feel and available effort,locking the wheels in the dry requires

a "substantial" push