Cheap Coilover Shocks

Guest JWezley

Guest JWezley

Hi all,

being mister scrouge and wanting to save costs at this time anyone out there know of a good source of cheap coilover shocks just for the rear of my subK. I have had some moutings made like the ones shown video.

Guest jwaterman

Hi.

I am in the process of purchasing some new coilovers for my 2B. It Passed the SVA on the 1st April. The Zeemeride units that i have are not man enough for my car. They have only done 100 miles, most of that was tooing and frowing from the test stations. So they can be yours for a small exchange of some good old British Sterling! Make me an offer.

They are the 4 units that come in the 2B kit, they have the Green springs, I think these are the 300LB ones.

Let me know. I am about to start searching for replacements tomorrow.

All best

John W.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest paul mercer

you say that the zeemeride units are not man enough for your car. i've heard a lot of people say that they are no good, and personally looking at the finish on the threaded sections of mine, have thought about changing them as well. my cars not on the road yet, but i'd be interested in why they are no good and also where and how much you are getting your replacements for?

thanks

paul

Guest Julian B

Hi

I have the green ones on the back of my 2B and i think they are too soft. You only really notice this if you are taking another adult as a passenger, then you will find the car bottoming out too often. I think they seem fine on the front but i have mine wound right up after some experimentation so i cant get any more adjustment on them.

If i was to build another 2B i would go (and probably will) for some adjustable spax or similar, however the greenies that John has for sale will get you on the road at least.

Julian Brewer

hammer.gif

Guest jwaterman

I have fitted the new coil overs on the front these are the ones from Dampertech. Got these a while ago. Still waiting for the rear ones!! RS JigTec have been taking there time. They say one thing then do another i'm not a happy puppy at the moment. They should have arrived today, But haven't. After speaking with them they have the wrong post code. I hope they will be with me before the show. I will stop venting my frustration now sorry about that.

After putting the adjustable shocks on the front, i instantly noticed a immediate improvement!!!!!! The front end sticks to the road, hands a lot better. The rear is still too soft. With the rears done as well the car should become a superior breed.

The zeemerides i have been told are units that have been built by RHE. The spring rates vary alot and by alot. The dampers are mini units. These are not man enough for the spring, Resulting in the spring being in charge of the damper, instead of the other way around. This has the effect of the car bounces alot on the road, this in my experience gets worse on some roads, becoming uncontrollable.

The cost of the Gaz Shocks from dampertech was £60 for damper and £15 for 350 spring rates then the VAT and postage. The rears units from RS Jigtec was £230 + VAT. This inculudes the dampers / Springs (250) top mounts for fitting inside roll bar. These have a flange machined on to it, to sit up against the end on tube. Thus taking the weight other than the single bolt, which has a shear load (not Good). Once i get them i will know a little more about it.

I suppose the zeemeride units would suit the rear end of the Sub K. Is it lighter than the 2B? They can beused to get the car on the road as a interim measure.

Hope this waffle helps in someway other than confuse!

John

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Takumi

Hi..

AVO SHOCKS have made a specific coilover for the 2B, made for an upgrade on the std item. These never took-off in terms of sales. So AVO Still have a few sets of these Pro Race shocks w/ Adjustable seats and dampening.

I bought 2 coilovers to replace the (innovative) upside down MacPherson strut in the rear.

FOR £30 each. !! FROM THE STONELIEGH KITCAR SHOW !!

or AVO offered a complete set to replace the std items for £120.

all were less springs. springs were about <£20. (for different ratings) so for £200 you could have a set or race coilovers.

Im not sure how many of these 2B coilovers they have left in stock, but I know the AVO stand sold all of the coilovers they had for the 2B.

It maybe worth phoning the sales people and just asking if they still have the 'Dead Stock' availible.

www.AVOUK.com

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TonyB

I ordered Rear Coil-overs from RS Jig Tec and also had problems with delivery.

When they did arrive I tried to fit them to my 2B to find that they finished up angled to the rear of the car and missed the centre of the cup in the rear wishbone by a good 4".

I spoke to Richard at RH who said that the Roll bar had been angled forward to make the hood fit better and that it was RS-Jig tec who were at fault.

I spoke to Bob at RS Jig Tec and he is sending me a different set of shockers with "eye" mountings at both ends, so that I can make up an adapter plate to fit into the roll bar.

There was no question of who's fault it was (I must say that RH have changed the angle of the roll bar) Bob made it clear that he just wanted to help me to get my rear suspension sorted out.

I think that the difference in attitude is worth mentioning.

Also whilst on this subject I rang AVO to enquire about Rear Coil-overs for the 2B. The young lady that I spoke to hadn't a clue what I was talking about and then decided that they didn't do them anyway (way to go AVO).

AVO shocks are very good performers. You should order by stating id of spring (1.9 or 2.25), open length and joint type (polybush or spherical bearing). You can get technical advice if you ask for it. You probably spoke to the girl who does the orders for uprating euroboxes. I have AVO's on all corners and discussed the order with a switched on and helpful bloke and the shocks and springs arrived next day! Also, way to go AVO. (Just a different experience.)

The most difficult problem with the rear setup on RH cars is the sierra cross tube mounts should be at axle height, not about 7inches off the ground. This upsets the semi-trailing arm geometry, introduces tyre scrub and rear end steer on bounce. (Oh, and the zeemerides.)

Nigel

Guest TonyB

Just as a follow up to my recent posting about RS Jig tec and rear coil over shockers.

As I said previously the shockers and adaptor supplied by RS Jig Tec did not fit my 2B due to a mod introduced by RH.

The friday before bank holiday I rang RS Jig tec to explain the problem. Today (Tuesday following Bank Holiday) 2 nice new shockers arrived by carrier.

Now the original spigots (to fit the roll bar) are at my local machine shop for a quick mod and hopefully tomorrow the back end will have wheels on : :D