Zetec Engine Installation 2b

Hi All

Finally getting around to fitting a 2l blacktop zetec into my 2b and will no doubt have a few questions about what i need. However looking to prepare to do it in a couple of weeks and looking to get everything ready for a lightening installation!! With this in mind i am trying to do it fairly cheaply but cant be too fusy due to lack of time. :(

Looking on Ebay and a bit of research of various forums, I am considering the GSXR600, as far as i can see I need a custom manifold which is ok, and the throttle boddies seem to give a enough power. Firstly are they a wise choice??

Secondly can someone advise ones to get, seem to be a few on ebay all with K something, which are best, and what do they need doing to get them ready for zetec, or should i just go with these although it seems expensive http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/zetec-2-0-throttle-b...=item19baebb9bd

Any help would be great, and i'm sure i'll be back for more advise pretty soon

Thanks

Guest The Modfather

Don't think you need throttle bodies if using bike carbs? Thats the impression I have, as I'm going to be doing a zetec swap over in winter, and I plan to use bike carbs. I would suggest carbs that have openings of 36mm<, so I believe the gixers are either 36 or 38's depending on what year bike they are from. I believe throttle bodies are used when using injectors?

Bogg Bros do custom manifolds for bike carbs, give them a ring.

HTH

Darren

Guest doddy

i have the same set fitted to my zetec i made a manifold for mine i use 40mm tube but i think if you used the ebay one the only diffence is that is 42mm i think it should be ok as long as they are 42mm outside diameter other wise thay may be to big also you need to check how much clearance you have i had to angle my manifold up abit

Hi All

Picked up the engine today with the plan to fit it during Easter. As time is tight i am hoping that sucess will be in the planning!!

I know there is lots of experts out there so please help on my shopping list

Zetec to Type 9 - 1.8 Zetec flywheel, spigot bearing 1554973, use same pinto clutch, shorten sump. Then it just slots on? Do i need to remove gerabox or will it slot in while in place? (sounds so simple, but i know it wont be)

Other Ancillaries - (any advice on what ones would be good)

Alternator

Starter Motor - Lucas LRS707

ECU - Megajolt

Carb or boddies,

Inlet manifold to suit

Fuel pressure regulator

Swirl Pot

Fuel Pump

Cambelt

Remote oil filter

Water Rail

Water rail - my plan is to use the same prop so am i right in thinking this involoves cutting the chassis to fit it in, if so does this eliminate the need for a water rail??

Pedal Box - In a 2b will the engine fit without moving the pedal box to the floor?? if not is the GBS one ok?

Mounts - I presume the GBS ones wont fit if i am planning on cutting the chassis to ensure the prop does not need changing?

As you'll tell i'm a complete amature so the more help the better please.

Thanks, and sorry if these questions have been asked but i have looked through searching :mellow:

Guest graham.g

you will only need the water rail if you have clearance issues with the thermostat housing/scuttle.

try avoid using a water rail as some have cooling issues using one fitted.

you will only have to modify prop if you are moving gearbox forward/rearward.

You can run the engine using megajolt and carbs, if you go throttle boddies you will need aftermarket engine management.

You will only need remote oil filter if it fouls the steering shaft.

you will need a fuel pump/ swirl pot and regulator suited for fuel injection if going down the throttle body route. if going carbs a fuel pump and regulator only.

engine mounts would need modifying for zetec

Graham

Guest graham.g

if you go throttle bodies/ megasquirt you will need a fuel pipe return to the tank, plus the setting up of megasquirt which takes time and patience if you do all the mapping yourself, if so you will also probably need a wide band sensor etc.

with the cost of all parts to convert to Fuel injection could be very costly

Easiest and cheapest instalation would be bike carbs, megajolt,

If you are using the pinto clutch you will need the zetec 1.8 flywheel drilled to accept it, far better using the zetec clutch with a sierra friction plate, and a quinton hazel ct133 release bearing. Starter motor from a sierra cvh to type 9

Graham

Thanks for the comments Graham, I think your suggestions are spot on from what I have read. I suppose it is a case of offering it up and seeing what fits and what doesn't.

Looking at it a floor mounted pedal box is a must, so i'll get one ordered tomorrow.

All advice still welcome.

Thanks

Sounds good so far. I'm doing the 2.0 silvertop.

Made up my own engine mounts but to get a nice angle from base plate to engine mount plate leaves me a few mm high on the engine. Am using cortina rubbers but am considering getting something 10mm thinner which will be perfect.

Gearbox can stay in and agree with chopping and re-welding the cross member. Put a couple of inch extension in should the job. Will confirm at the weekend as this is on the list.

I've gone bike carb route for simplicity and Megajolt ignition.

Pedals I have are Zero ones and haven't finished the thought process yet but Richard says they work when I saw him so just need to figure it out.

Exhaust I would speak to Spencer from Ashley Performance. They have developed a manifold for the 2B.

Good luck and take loads of piccies.

Thanks Knock-On, let me know how it goes over the weekend!

Spoke to Richard at GBS and ordered the following

Enigne mounts, with some extra tube to allow for me to move the engine back

Zero pedal box

Throttle Cable

Spigot Bearing

Exhaust - I was going to take it to a maker to make one that exits through the bonnet, however apparently GBS now do this so have ordered and will see the results? If not it'll go back.

Richard mentioned he recommeds using a 2L zetec clutch and flywheel....any thoughts? I already have 1.8 zetec flywheel and existing 2L pinto clutch.

Thinking about ordering the throttle boddies, although they are £300+ and cant remeber if they come with ECU, if so then probably good value, if not then seems expensive :mellow:

Thanks

Simon