Last Post About The Pillars (hopefully)

keith kelly

Hi all,

i am sure you have all read my numberous posts about the pillars on here by now. (Manythanks to all that have helped thus far) just one more question.

i have had the shsfts modified (found someone at last) and have had an m12 stud put in the bottom. question is do i still need the top hat as it does not seem to fit properly anymore?? think i have seen on here that this is because the bottom is not inline with the top strut. worked with the thinner bolt but the new ones make it sit at an angle and not flush with the botom strut.

hoping to put back together today but as usual have hit anpother snagg!

by hook or by crook this car will be at stonleigh!!

on another note got my boys in the hood mag today and yipee my cars nose is in one of the pictures from stafford show!

regards

keith

Guest craig030774

i still used top hat fitted loose was a bit of a pain to get it all to fit but am fairly confident that it wont fall apart. have you made a spacer to spread the load over the top bearing as I personally feel this is a must.

i also drilled and tapped then fitted proper grease niplles to the stub axle rather than the knock in type

Guest mark kingston
i still used top hat fitted loose was a bit of a pain to get it all to fit but am fairly confident that it wont fall apart. have you made a spacer to spread the load over the top bearing as I personally feel this is a must.

i also drilled and tapped then fitted proper grease niplles to the stub axle rather than the knock in type

i still used the top hat and i brought some washers that a conical and convex face on side that when fitted together allowed the top to find its own angle and do up obviouslt i used a pair of these washer sets under and above the top chassis member.

trying to remember where i brought them but for the moment it escapes me.

regards

mark

just had a quick look and i got them here

http://www.wixroyd.co.uk/search.php?query=washers

Guest mark kingston
thanks mark,

sound like it would work in theory but not sure i am grasping the concept fully though which of the washers are you refering to?

thanks keith

the 2510 and the 2540 ones but dont forget you need a set both below the top chassis leg and above for them to do up properly.

mine has been together now 9 years and has never given a problem.

regards

mark