Oil Temperature

Guest Tim Norman

Guest Tim Norman

Just fitted an oil temperature sender to complete the all in one instrument I have.

I thought that oil was supposed to run hotter than water but with my set up it never got within 20 degrees!

Went out to test it this afternoon, weather was quite warm but even giving it a good wragging the engine temp never got over 88 degrees and the oil nearly hit 70 degrees. There is on oil cooler fitted but it has a thermostat in the sandwich plate so probably never gets used!

Under normal driving conditions, your oil should be similar temp to the water (after all, it's in the same lump of metal!) only under sever ragging ie on a track (or for a normal car, when towing a caravan) will you oil temp creep up a little higher than the water temp, but will soon cool back down to normal once the right foot is lifted.

You don't really need an oil cooler, especially with our cars, as they're not moving the same amount of weight, ie, 4 adults, 2 dogs, boot full of duty free and a caravan on the back.

Not to mention that it's something else to go wrong, (ask Tony!---- pipe came off his on the way to Donington a few years ago = 3 hour wait for truck with flashing lights, and new engine required!)