Capri Fuel Sender

Guest Daren.F

Guest Daren.F

As usual I've found the car under a pile of carpets, and need some parts to make it work properly.

I need a ford capri fuel sender to match the clocks I eventually fitted last year.

I also need a oil feed pipe, 'T' fitting and a water temp sender, but I think Burtons have them.

If any one has the part numbers and suppliers for the fuel sender, then I wont need the 10litre fuel can for Stoneleigh.

Guest mcramsay

i could never find a new fuel sender for my capri! looked everyware for one! however i got one for my kit car which is from a sierra, and i would put money on it that they are the same item. obviously the resistance values could be different for the different tanks. im sure some one else will have more info!

Guest mcramsay

easyest way of doing it is if you can find out what the resistance should be at the top and bottom of the scale for the gauge...i can find that out from the capri owners club if you like. and then measure the resistance of the sierra sender when its at empty and full scale... you might get lucky and be able to wack a resistor in the line to get it around where you want the figure to be. it wont make the scale dead accurate but it will give a better indication. as i said earlier i found trying to find a capri sender pretty damn hard without paying silly money. i never went to ford but they have seem to forgotten they ever made a capri as they dont tend to keep parts for them on stock

Guest Daren.F
easyest way of doing it is if you can find out what the resistance should be at the top and bottom of the scale for the gauge...i can find that out from the capri owners club if you like. and then measure the resistance of the sierra sender when its at empty and full scale... you might get lucky and be able to wack a resistor in the line to get it around where you want the figure to be. it wont make the scale dead accurate but it will give a better indication. as i said earlier i found trying to find a capri sender pretty damn hard without paying silly money. i never went to ford but they have seem to forgotten they ever made a capri as they dont tend to keep parts for them on stock

That sounds easy, could you find the resistances for me please?

Having slept on it, I think the resistance of the sierra sender is greater than the resistance of the capri sender, so adding a extra resistor will only make it worse. also wont a resistor just give a fixed deflection on the gauge?

But what do I know?

Lots of you have got capri clocks, how have you done it?

I have Capri clocks and managed to get hold of a Capri Sender off eBay.

It wasn't expensive, so I must've been lucky.

I then set to, adjusting and lengthening the float arm so that it travelled the full height of the tank and it works a treat.

Chris is right though. GMS should be able to sort you out with what you need.

Guest Daren.F

Thanks, i've just called GMS and spoke to a very helpful guy. he can not get a Capri sender, but he has a universal sender, that he says will work.

But he also said that all senders are the same resistance and that they only vary in the lenght of travel.

Is this right?

If he is right then why is my sender not working?

Hi Darren,

OK. If this is what GMS say, then you should be able to get what you already have working somehow.

A bit Heath Robinson, but this is how I did mine.

Lash up the sender you have to the car in a level position and make sure it's earthed.

I clamped mine to the roll bar which was level.

Connect up the Gauge and with the Float at it's lowest point, the Gauge should read empty.

Slowly lift the Float and hopefully the Gauge should start to move.

If this happens then it's a qustion of getting the Float into the correct arc.

I did this by extending the arm and a bit of bending.

I used a piece of cardboard to represent the Tank and marked the low (empty) and high (full) points

If this doesn't work then the guy at GMS is wrong - IMHO.

HTH

Guest Daren.F

Thats what I did when I fitted the sender in the tank a few years ago and it worked perfectly with the sierra clocks.

But with the capri clock it reads close to empty when full of fuel and very empty when 3/4 full.

Guest Ian & Carole

Darren

Can you drop it out and try the range of movement and wach the gauge and see what is going on.

I have the Sierra sender driving a Smiths fuel gauge and with a bit of bending of the arm it works fine.

I have a spare Sierra sender in the garage, could bring to show at the weekend if you like.

Guest Daren.F

I've just beem googling fuel senders and they do have diferent resistances, most fords use the same resistance but pre 1989 they used a diferent resistance.

so it looks like I need to find a old version.

Ohms/Resistance

(Empty/Full) - Popular Models

0-90 Ohms - Works on most GM cars, 1965 to present

73-10 Ohms - Works on Fords prior to 1989 & most Chryslers

240-33.5 - Industry standard, works on many popular cars

0-30 Ohms - Works on most GM cars prior to 1965

16-158 Ohms - Works on most Fords, 1989 & newer

• 1 month later...
Guest Daren.F

I am back to this problem again.

I have found that the Capri clocks I have fitted show full with a resistance of 10 ohms and empty with 73 ohms.

I managed to find some resistors of an old pcb and prove the theory.

I am now looking for a ford fuel sender, pre 1989 that reads 10 ohms full and 73 ohms empty

First to supply, gets beer!!

Daren

• 1 month later...
Guest cooperman

Darren

Can you drop it out and try the range of movement and wach the gauge and see what is going on.

I have the Sierra sender driving a Smiths fuel gauge and with a bit of bending of the arm it works fine.

I have a spare Sierra sender in the garage, could bring to show at the weekend if you like.

Ian

Does "works fine" mean it reads empty when empty and full when full?

I have a Smiths gauge and Sierra sender but it reads full when full and half full when empty - admittedly I have not yet tried to bend the arm but I will if it will result in showing full when full and empty when empty

Thanks

Ian