Engine Conversion Pinto To Zetec Or Duratec?

Guest ollie chapman

Guest ollie chapman

Hi guys,

I am looking for some advice please. I am starting to think about changing my 1.8 pinto to either a 2.0 zetec or the bigger and more insane 2.5 duratec.

I am pushing more towards the duratec due to the powerful alloy block. However I am aware that there would be some consequences, such as more weight and a car that isn't as well balanced.

Has anyone attempted this engine change and weighed up the pro's and con's for both options?

All opinions would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers,

Ollie

Guest Alan_builder
Hi guys,

I am looking for some advice please. I am starting to think about changing my 1.8 pinto to either a 2.0 zetec or the bigger and more insane 2.5 duratec.

I am pushing more towards the duratec due to the powerful alloy block. However I am aware that there would be some consequences, such as more weight and a car that isn't as well balanced.

Has anyone attempted this engine change and weighed up the pro's and con's for both options?

All opinions would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers,

Ollie

Knock-on is correct the Zetec is lighter than the Pinto.

What power do you want?

The Zetec will do 175 bhp with out changing other than the inlet manifold, carb or injection options and chucking the cat out. 240 bhp is possible without supercharging or turbo.

The 2.5 Duratec may not go through your gearbox for to long or may go through your gear boxes quickly. Also this is a wide engine and you may have problems getting it in the engine bay. It may not be heaver than a Pinto. You may be the first to go down this road.

I :wub: my :rhsc:

No one seems to mention the exhaust exit, are they on opposite sides from one another on the Zetec and Duratec?

Is the Duratec opposite from Pinto but Zetec the same? (or are they both opposite?).

That would be a big part of my decision if I were to swop from the Pinto.

thanks

Malcolm

Guest loopyonion

I have looked at putting a 2.5 in mine, I presume were on about the 2.5v6 from cougars/mondeos?

It would mate to the gearboxes as usual, engine mounts are straight forward, but maintainance isnt.

The water pump arrangement is belt driven, and would sit above the gearbox, this along with the height of the engine, would mean a radical bonnet design.

The management on the 24v v6 is crappy, plus it has servo controlled secondary flaps for economy. These nearly always fail, its a bad design. Plus the airflow meters etc.

My idea, it can be done. Loose the stock inlet manifold, use bike injection throttle bodies or custom plenum design, nice headers out the sides of the car, twin exhaust etc. Standalone ecu is a must as the aiflow meter arrangement is a pain, plus these engines sometimes run 3 cats as well! (we need them gone :))

If the waterpump is being a pain, we use an electric one.

In all, you could expect 220-225ish hp from a NA engine good torque too, sounding sweet. Weight would be simalar to pinto. The engine itself isnt as tunable as a zetec, as most things like cam swaps ect, theres 4 to change, and engine out to perform.

As for the focus st 2500cc 5cylinder, the engine in the ST lies backwards in the focus engine bay, and is very tall, so i dont think it would be a wise move.

No one seems to mention the exhaust exit, are they on opposite sides from one another on the Zetec and Duratec?

Is the Duratec opposite from Pinto but Zetec the same? (or are they both opposite?).

That would be a big part of my decision if I were to swop from the Pinto.

thanks

Malcolm

duratec and pinto same, zetec opposite