I.c.e Or The Tone From The Exhaust Pipes?

Guest Sharky

Guest Sharky

Hi All,

I thought I would start a little thread off to test the water on the general preferences of Hoodies.

The question is:

Whether to fit a reasonably priced In-Car-Entertainment system (CD/Radio/MP3) for those times when I am sat in boring traffic going to work

OR ....

Whether the group preference leans more toward the constant thrum and occasional loud burrrrrrp from the exhaust? (Which by the way is on the long-haired General's side of the car and will therefore have slightly less appeal - unless I am stuck in a tunnel!)

I was thinking of at least putting a small amp and some little speakers concealed under the dash and gubbins, with a jack input close to hand for iPod/phone so I can belt out a few dB's of Meatloaf's Bat out of Hell on a sunny Sunday morning blast.

I am a biker and in the past I would have used an iPod for longer journeys and settled for the rasp of the engine/exhaust for quick blats. But I have recently switched to a 1954 Beeza and I am liking the stonking Brit Twin exhaust note out of chrome pea-shooters ... Hence, the quandry and I now need help on what others would do differently next time round or indeed an idea of any mods that they have already done and think is a good method.

I will be running a Zetec but no matter what engine/exhaust combo I think it's an issue worth pondering.

So what's the deal - ICE or exhaust?

If it's ICE where have you mounted the amp?

How much power do you need to hear Meatloaf's 'Paradise by the dashboard light' when travelling at say ... "no more than 70mph officer"?

How/where have you mounted your speakers?

Jack plug straight into an amp or a Radio/CD/MP3 head to feed it?

Where's your aerial mounted?

See - it's limitless and there are so many variables!

Cheers in advance - I think this will be a closer and far more interesting debating process than the current election has been ...... 8)

All the best

Sharky

Guest loopyonion

Exhaust... All the way, if you're sick of the sound, change the engine ;)

ice would be usefull for being stuck in traffic though.

Guest Vindi_andy

I have fitted a £50 aldi radio unit and some ripspeed speakers from halfords when halfprice.

The radio has MP3 on disc compatability has an aux input for MP3 or Ipod and bluetooth. The speakers are mounted in the dash pointing backwards towards the driver passenger and at 65 mph on the M69 the kids in the back could still hear it well enough to sing along. And I can still hear the Burrrrrrrpppp of the exhaust when vigorous with the loud pedal

Hi Sharky,

I have both!

I bought an Amp & Speakers from Maplins and have mounted the Amp behind the passenger seat.

This feeds off to the two speakers mounted on top of the boot, as I just couldn't find a suitable spot under the dash for them (which would've been the best location). Power is supplied fused from the battery of course and my iPod plugs into a socket on the dash - voilla!

Now then - I'm now on my third set of speakers (current ones are 6 inch 450w) but even these are feeling the strain. Basically if you're tootling along at 40mph they're OK, but much above that and I resort to earbuds or whatever (I was once overtaken by a Caterham on a mission and he had full cans on!) as the volume simply has to be pumped up to 'really loud' and even then you struggle to hear them! I feel that some vents in the rear bulkhead would really help the Bass, but I haven't got around to this to date.

They're good company though in some situations. I like them warbling away at shows and they're great in town.

HTH

Guest craig030774

fitted 2 speakers just in front of seats and 2 on boot cover and can hear it better at high speed if i wear ear plugs :huh: oh and stereo is a sony x plod

im a big fan of engine noise :-)

but if you get bored, i would recommend Koss mp3 plug in head phones. takes away most of the noise from outside (they are similar to ear plugs) when mp3 is off, and it means you dont need music up very loud at all to hear comfortably.