Tyres On Wheels

Guest rizla

Guest gordon_macnab

Ford did make 15" versions they were fitted to the last of the line Capri 280 Brooklands. They also made some very similar that were RS options on early Mondeos so may have been up to 16"

Gordon

Guest paul mercer

Bob.

I looked at the site you mentioned, but couldn't see the correct section. I've got a copy from a book at work which details maximum and minimum sizes allowed on specific sized rims, which is slightly different to changing the profile etc.

I'll get the photocopy tonight and tell yo all the sizes you're allowed on 6j14's.

Ps. See you on sat Bob.

I cant see that being correct. :gdit:

I've always thought that 205 will fit onto a 5 1/2 j and I've seen lots of people running with this size of tyre wheel combination. :rolleyes:

So if you can run this wide on 5 1/2 j surely 6j would take wider. :)

Guest paul mercer

I've got a copy of th ETRTO 1990 guidelines. No idea what the ETRTO stands for but it is the system that FMC use for deciding tyre combinations.

It works in reverse to the way you want but, It recomends that for 185/50 14 tyres use a 5.5 or 6j rim although a 5 or 6j is permitted.

195/50 recomends 6 or 6.5, but allows 5.5 - 7

These guys have to cover their arses big time, so i guess you could go larger than 'permitted'.

The best place to ask would be somewhere like 'elite tyres'

Hope this helps.

PAUL

:D woo hooo i won on ebay,the wheels above are now mine cost in the end was £117 ,

not bad me thinks,should go well with the car, rs turbo,moded at rs jigtec,and now rs wheels.

now i need some help and advise,i now need to buy some tyres for them,they will be 185 14 or 195 14 but what type,i need good grip in the dry not to worried about wear rate,does anyone know what really grip.

many thanx andy :)

:o ive just found a toyo wheel rim to tyre guide in a catologe

185.......5.0--6.5

195.......5.5--7.0

205.......5.5--7.5

215.......6.0--7.5

225.......6.0--8.0

245.......7.0--8.5

these are all 55 and 50 profile tyres,tyre to rim seams to change with profile choice

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AWhite

On the mk2 MR2 Toyota decided to put 225 tyres on a 6.5 15" rim (rear). The reason for this was that the earlier MR2s that had the same size wheels ran on thinner tyres but the handling on them was noticeably twitchy (being kind).

So with the wider tyres the tyre wall flexes a fair bit before the back end breaks out on corners. It just gives a more forgiving ride.

Thought the info might be useful when choosing tyre sizes.

Andy

Guest Russler

Rizla I am on my second set of Toyo proxes T1s 195/50/15's and I think they are bloody brilliant. They do seem to be a soft compound and so the rears do tend to wear fairly quickly if you are aggressive off the line.

Try this guy he advertised on ebay a few months back and was selling 15" toyo's for £33 if I remember rightly