Sierra Rear Vented Disks.

garethbowers

Hi all, i have ordered a set of rear calipers. I think they are from a sierra cosworth.. Im just thinking tho, will they fit my 2b (sierra running gear). I know people have used solids but these are vented... Can you think of any issues? I have the carriers and adapter plates.

cheers

Gareth

what adapter plates do you have? the GBS adapters suit a drum braked rear end to fit a 253mm rear disc from a mk3 scorpio estate / cougar. Will need 14" wheels.

if you have different plates to suit a disc braked hub i assume you'll be going for the 273mm disc from a 4x4 sierra cosworth (later models) but i fear that would be serious overkill. The cosworth calipers will fit a disc braked hub with the 253mm disc, without adapter plates. The 273mm disc would need 15" wheels.

No other issues, unless you are converting from drums, in which case you'll need new hoses and a disc-brake handbrake cable.

Andy

hey people thanks for the replies.. Yeah im converting from sierra drums to the later cosworth 273 4x4's ( i think ) as said.LINK http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310183136646&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1154

I picked them up for £35 notes so cant complain really im waiting for them to get here. Was there any other models with vented rear? Its just that when i looked in the disk book at the factors, nothing else was listed for vented rear except the cosi. The adapters were given to me from a guy on here. I think they are the gbs ones, so wont these fit? if not where could i get new plates?

Pic of my plate :-) drumbracket.jpg

I can sort the hoses etc and pressume i could order a disk han brake cable? I have a pedal box setup with balance bar and rear bias valve so i am able to tone the rear down a tad.

Any ideas on wheels?

Thanks

Gareth

Edited by garethbowers

What if he has sierra solid rear calipers?

Solid disc to vented 253mm is as simple as changing the disc and calipers (inc carriers), everything else, even the pads are the same.

I don't recognise those brackets as GBS ones, but they may be. The ones i saw were specificly for 253mm discs. They should fit afaik.

There were no other sierras that had vented rear discs, but the scorpio estate brakes do fit as they are the same caliper.

As for wheels, it's your choice! 15" to fit over the 273mm disc.

Cheers matey. Just spoke to the seller and he says i will need scorpio ultima estate rear disks? Does this sound about right then?

What car will i need a handbrake cable from and will i have to modify it?

Cheers Gareth

Cheers matey. Just spoke to the seller and he says i will need scorpio ultima estate rear disks? Does this sound about right then?

What car will i need a handbrake cable from and will i have to modify it?

Cheers Gareth

Yes, that sounds right, but the cougar discs are exactly the same.

Off the cuff I thought the grannies had 5 studs wheels? So you may have a problem getting the discs to fit the sierra 4 stud hubs?

The Sierra Gihas are fitted with discs, the handbrake cable has eyes and will be toooooo long as they always are for our cars. I think you can cut off the eye from the cable at one end, drill out the wire and reattach it in the correct place by the usual means, squash and chissel and a tad of weld.

Make sure the calipers match the disc thickness, Sierra non Cosie are 10mm, I think the vented rear cossies are 22mm. If you have exotic rear calipers they may use a different end for the handbrake. What ever calipers you get will need to match up with the bolt hole spacings on those brackets.

I :wub: my :rhsc:

The Mk1 & mk2 grannies had 5 stud hubs, the mk3 buy-eyed model had 4 stud.

Agreed the cable needs shortening, but it's exactly the same cable as an ordinary disc braked sierra.

I don't know where my cable is from, but it has grub screws in the eyelets on the ends of the cables, presumably it has been shortened there.

I presume the hubs are the same, i don't have any specific info on that. At the bare minimum, we know the caliper mounting lugs are in the same place

Just got this message from Graham385:

Hi, Sorry for delay in response but I'm in France and WiFi coverage is hard to find sometimes. When I converted to Discs on the rear I changed the studs to these,"8 x Standard plus 25mm 63mm long 12mm 1.5 Ford (SS37) = £7.60" from Rallydesign. In fact they are now a bit longer than necessary so could have gone a bit shorter. All the best Graham