Expansion Tanks

Thrashed

Hi Guys, building a zero with a 2.o pinto.

I am using the rad supplies by GBS, i thinks its a coolman rad, but the question is do i need an expansion tank or can i just blank off the small pipe on the thermostat and water pump, then connect the top hose to the Thermostat and the bottom hose to the Water Pump?

Thanks

Steve

Guest chris brown

Rather than using a pressurised expansion tank a better option is to use a tank connected to the overflow pipe on the neck of the rad just run a pipe into the bottom of a small tank i.e. a cycle anodised drinks bottle looks good. This way hot engine/rad = water blows into bottle. Then as engine/rad cools water is sucked back into rad via negative pressure valve in rad cap.

Guest AWhite

I agree with Chris the take off on the thermostat housing is blanked on mine and I have a smallish bottle that connects from the neck on the rad to the bottom of the bottle. It is not pressurised. It then blows out into the bottle and sucks back when it cools. Just to be safe I fitted a pipe at the top of the bottle that drains to floor in case it blows out too much. I'd rather the road had it than my ankles!

Also the pinto is notorious for overheating due to trapped air. I fitted a radiator bleed valve in a T piece made of 15mm copper pipe (I know others have done this too). This is fitted at the highest point of the coolant system so when the system has been drained I crack the valve and let the engine start, wait till coolant comes out then tighten it up. No more air. No more overheating!

Andy

Edited by AWhite