Steering Wheel Position

Guest Kentish Tim

Guest Kentish Tim

I'm new to kit cars and the best way forward with my only issue to date, my 2b was previously owned by someone considerably shorter than my 6'4" frame...

The position of the pedals is reasonably ok, but I have to wedge my left leg between the gearbox cover and the steering wheel..not a good position..

I was thinking would a quick release boss extend the steering wheel forward enough to ease my discomfort or is there a way of adusting the steering wheel upwards?

As I said this is my first kit car and I`m not very mechanically minded so I'd appreciate some assistance.

Thanks

Not to sure that a quick release boss would help you much other than getting in and out of the car. Can the seat be repositioned back more? If not then you may have to look at moving the steering shaft up more but that could cause you more problems with the mounting bracket and then the shaft to the rack catching the tube in the engine bay.

Or the other option is to change the pedal position if you have room to move them forward without catching the foot well. I'm 5'-3" and my Son is about 5'-10" and by having the seat adjustable it will suit us both.

(The last option is to have your legs shortend! sorry only joking)

Martin

Guest Kentish Tim

Martin,

Thanks for the advice.

I think relocating the clutch pedal would seem the way forward, have you and advice regarding installing a hydrolic clutch as if this is possible I could position the pedal where ever was suitable?

The drivers seat is set back as far as it can go and as for reducing my 6`4" hieght surgery is not an option, but I`m aware that you shrink as you get older. Based on 1/4" a year once reaching 60 years of age I`d fit just fine when I reach 84 years old....

Guest peter2b2002

if the seat is on runners you could always remove them that will drop the seat quite a lot or get a flat bottom steering wheel

peter2b

Hi, I'm 6'4" also and mounted my steering column quite high and have now removed as much metal from the seat base as I can, then mounted on low runners. Plenty of room for my legs.

I drove another 2B before getting mine on the road and found that braking and changing gear made me turn left (not good) due to lack of room.

You could try moving the column to the right a little!

Nick