Compression Tester Advice

Guest Stuartl

Guest Stuartl

I have this admittedly cheap compression tester with rubbish 'instructions' and have two queries with it

Firstly, the part that you screw into the block in place of the plug is connected to the hose and gauge with a connector that you find on air tools which I imagine is the norm. This connection seems really sloppy and when I connect the two and blow through the 'dummy plug' the air seems to come straight out of this connection.

The second thing is that in these instructions it states that you should remove the ht lead from the dizzy and connect it to ground with a jump lead. Is this correct? I understand the need to disconnect the lead but never heard of grounding it before.

All help gratefully received :D

Thanks

Stuart

Guest peter2b2002

I think they want you to earth the lead so that it won't ignite any fuel when you spin the engine over,when I tested my compression I just took the lead off the plug and took all the plugs out so that the engine could spin over quicker, as for the blow by you may need a spacer washer between the plug and connector

peter2b

I also have a cheap tester I got off ebay, I found you need to screw the snap connector (female) onto the rubber hose with the guage quite tight, it then pushed the rubber down inside and formed a seal when snapped onto the male dummy plug.

Also, as a warning! the dummy plug had an o'ring to seal againt the engine, mine moved out of the groove and allowed the plug to screw in too far and contact the piston!

Guest Stuartl

I also have a cheap tester I got off ebay, I found you need to screw the snap connector (female) onto the rubber hose with the guage quite tight, it then pushed the rubber down inside and formed a seal when snapped onto the male dummy plug.

Also, as a warning! the dummy plug had an o'ring to seal againt the engine, mine moved out of the groove and allowed the plug to screw in too far and contact the piston!

Ouch! Thanks Jamie, I shall tinker... I think we bought the same kit! I am not usually in favour of cheap tools but as its the sort of thing that gets used once in a blue moon I went for it. Hope it doesn't come back to haunt me! Did yours work ok?

Guest peter2b2002

been sorting out my tool box guess what I found - a compression tester complete with an adapter for 18mm if you still need one I will take it to Newark on Saturday

peter2b

Guest Stuartl

been sorting out my tool box guess what I found - a compression tester complete with an adapter for 18mm if you still need one I will take it to Newark on Saturday

peter2b

Peter that is very good of you, thank-you. Unfortunately I cant get to Newark as I am going to be looking after my Mum who is very ill over that weekend. I am going to get my local 'tune-up' guy to look at the car, he used to be on my 'friends and family' list when I had my xflow engined Sylva Striker and he is brilliant.

Whilst I would love to have endless time to tinker with it, in reality he is going to diagnose the fault far quicker than I could and I can be out earning money in the meantime.

We are hoping to make the Uxbridge Show on July 18th if anyone is going there.

Thanks again for the offer, much appreciated,

Regards

Stuart