Newbie Here

Guest srobrien

Guest srobrien

Hey guys, just picked up my 2b yesterday and had a bit of a white knuckle ride home from Blairgowrie to Aberdeen on the motorways. We have bought the car as a bit of a fixer upper, but I hadn't realised quite how much of a fixer upper it was until I got her home. Engine runs fine although Idles really rough but the interior is needing a total overhaul and the bodywork is requiring repairs and repainting but we have big plans.

The front cycle cover bracket has snapped and its hanging quite loosely. I need to get my hands on replacement front hubs but have no idea where to start looking.

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

from Blairgowrie to Aberdeen on the motorways

didn't take the Ballater road then......

You will...................

Looks pretty good - I would sort out the dash though - engine??????

Guest srobrien

Its the 2.0 pinto, definitely gonna have to upgrade as it doesn't seem that fast, not compared to my zed anyway and it weights 3 times as much. The whole interior is getting ripped up, cf dash, digital gauges and corbeau seats with 4 pont harness. Orange and carbon paint job with black wolfrace alloys with and orange lip. Getting rid of all the shiney aluminium going for an all over paint job. Should about do it :)

Guest srobrien

don't know how to get paint to stick to stainless steel ( but others on here will ) or lighten it by losing the steel?

is the pinto efi or carbs?

Dunno about painting SS, probably need a lot of prep first, will need to speak to my bodyshop. The pinto is efi, thinking about carbs but I have no idea where to start :)

Guest sadjagboy

Hi and Welcome,

The hub is from a Sierra, but on the sliding pillar model, which seems to be what you have, it is modified (ie cut!).

It may be that there are other issues with the front suspension that need attended to. For instance the original set up uses a short lenght of pipe as a spacer and may have colapsed. As the sliding pillar design is basically a very old fashoined one (I think some old morgan's had s/p suspension)I imagine it will be quite high maintainance in use. My car is a sliding pillar model but it is still under construction :unknw: so I don't really know what it will be like in practice, but there are plenty on here that do.

best regards

Angus

Guest srobrien

Hi and Welcome,

The hub is from a Sierra, but on the sliding pillar model, which seems to be what you have, it is modified (ie cut!).

It may be that there are other issues with the front suspension that need attended to. For instance the original set up uses a short lenght of pipe as a spacer and may have colapsed. As the sliding pillar design is basically a very old fashoined one (I think some old morgan's had s/p suspension)I imagine it will be quite high maintainance in use. My car is a sliding pillar model but it is still under construction :unknw: so I don't really know what it will be like in practice, but there are plenty on here that do.

best regards

Angus

To be totally honest I don't know that much about the model version, looking at the pictures it could very well be sliding pillar, the only reason I need the new hubs is because they look very corroded and the cycle cover bracket has rusted through.

R

Guest shaggy

To be totally honest I don't know that much about the model version, looking at the pictures it could very well be sliding pillar, the only reason I need the new hubs is because they look very corroded and the cycle cover bracket has rusted through.

R

Eye, looks like a sliding pillock to me.

I too would ditch the efi, as I just did, as it was only designed for economy - not performance. I also changed the cam and put standard 32/36 dgav carb on and after a rr session, it was breaking 3 figures on the dyno. Obviously bike carbs would give a wee bit more, but I'm more than happy after ditching the efi unit.

Si

Guest sadjagboy

If the hub is basically sound why not clean it up and paint with Hammerite or some other type of paint? Once you've had the cycle braket welded up the cycle bracket or replacing the damaged part. If removing it, you'll need to take off the spring using a spring compressor. The spring compressor needs to have thinish arms otherwise you can not get it in the spring.

I've used Sykes Pickavant ones un modified, but they do damage the paint finish on the springs. They could be thinned on the bench grinder I suppose, but overall I'd rather damage the finish on the springs than risk damaging me.

I assume you are in or around Aberdeen (good plan to add your location to your profile so people know where you are), so not sure if there is anyone near by that can offer any guidance,so my advice would be to get some close up pics of the damage and post on here and I'm sure some one will be able to offer you a solution or 2.

Best regards

Angus

Guest srobrien

If the hub is basically sound why not clean it up and paint with Hammerite or some other type of paint? Once you've had the cycle braket welded up the cycle bracket or replacing the damaged part. If removing it, you'll need to take off the spring using a spring compressor. The spring compressor needs to have thinish arms otherwise you can not get it in the spring.

I've used Sykes Pickavant ones un modified, but they do damage the paint finish on the springs. They could be thinned on the bench grinder I suppose, but overall I'd rather damage the finish on the springs than risk damaging me.

I assume you are in or around Aberdeen (good plan to add your location to your profile so people know where you are), so not sure if there is anyone near by that can offer any guidance,so my advice would be to get some close up pics of the damage and post on here and I'm sure some one will be able to offer you a solution or 2.

Best regards

Angus

Cheers Angus, yeah i'm in Aberdeenshire. I am thinking about getting the gaz suspension kit any way so might just take it all apart when fitting them and give everything a proper clean up.

R