Drive Shaft Vibes

Guest old_timbo

Guest old_timbo

I've been noticeing vibes from the transmission at high speed lately, so last night I greased the UJ's. Seems to have cured the problem for now, but the rear UJ is flinging a lot of grease so I assume it is knackered. I've a standard 2003 vintage 2B propshaft with UJs at both ends, so any idea what part number / size replacement UJ I should be looking for?

Tim

you may already be aware of this but there is a post on here regarding the safety of some of the 2b prop shafts. Apparently they used seamed tube on some which isn't strong enough and has on some cases twisted and ripped apart (ive seen the pic and it didn't look good).

If you get it off and can see a seam i'd consideer getting a new prop altogether rather than just replacing the UJ. I think from memory people where saying a new prop was about £150-180.

hth

Guest old_timbo

Took a good look at the prop last time it was off (engine or diff. out job) and it looked pretty good to me. Didn't appear to be from seemed tube. However as soon as I got the vibes alarm bells rang, but just the UJ I think. It's the circlip retained type so I stand a sporting chance of changing it without a major saga.......once I know what it is. Probably going to finish it off at Barkston :spiteful:

Tim

I've just had exactly the same problem.

Initially I thought it was the gearbox because the vibration was only in 2nd and 3rd.

I was lucky to catch it before the UJ let go and wrecked the transmission tunnel.

I had to cut the floor away to allow the prop shaft to clear the diff.

Once out the front UJ was completely cream crackered and the rear one was replaced at the same time.

Once the car was off the ground it was only a couple of hours work.

Richard at GBSC has some replacements and he and John spent time showing me the correct way to fit them, all before they had their tea!! Fantastic.

Sorry I cannot supply a part number but give Richard a call.

PS. Thanks Richard and John for your help, back on the road the next morning.

• 6 months later...
Guest old_timbo

I'm upgrading to a LSD so I'm finally addressing my drive shaft vibes while the diff is out. Front UJ of my shaft was knackered, with the rear one not far behind. Considering it has probably only done 6k miles since 2002 when it was made thats not very good. I got Bailey Morris to make me up a new shaft as my original was from seamed tube so probably one of those that fail. £144 inc VAT. I asked them what they thought of the original. They weren't too concerned about the seemed tube but didn't like the look of the huge spot welds holding the balance weights on as they felt they would have distorted the tube. The usual weak point is the UJs apparently. I went for sealed for life UJs in the new shaft as they don't have the drilllings for the greaseways and so are stronger. Here are some photo's. Anyone want a knackered shaft?

Tim

post-1398-0-22141700-1295033556_thumb.jpg

post-1398-0-31089300-1295033557_thumb.jpg

post-1398-0-89165100-1295033558_thumb.jpg