Sikaflex

Guest Getting There

Guest Getting There

Hi

I am trying to buy some Sikaflex and have 2 questions.

What number sikaflex (225, EBT, etc) do I need for putting between the panels and the chassis on the zero?

Where is the best and cheapest place to get it from, tried ebay but with no luck?

Any ideas gratefully recieved.

Many Thanks

Chris

Guest Ian & Carole

Chris

If you try your local motor factor / paint supplier to the trade they should stock it and will be able to advise on which to use for what application.

HTHs

Guest gixerboy600

Hi Chris,

I bought mine on ebay, damaged tubes but has not been an issue! Sikaflex 228 I think is the panel adhesive, black tube with yellow writing, can check in the morning!

HTH's

John

Guest Neil.Pritchard

Hi Chris, Whurth make a sealant called Bond and Seal. This is the same as sikaflex 228 ,which when can be over painted. It can be bought on Ebay. Cheers Neil.

Guest Getting There

Hi

Thanks for all your replies. I have just bought 10 tubes of the Wurth sealant, so thanks for the recomendation.

Justin, the car build has finally begun, I may be calling on a hand in the next few weeks!!! Engine is in and all getting moved to the new house on Friday night (think Andy might be happy now he has no panels under his bed!)

Cheers

Chris

Guest marsbar

Sikaflex 252 is the high adhesive PU overpaintable sealant, and is a brand leader, and tends to be expensive, I phoned them from work as we have an account for the building chemicals,

they would not sell us the 252.

But we deal with another company Everbuild, and they do a direct equivalent called Puraflex 40, available in various colours and is overpaintable, we can sell this for £4.25 per tube inc VAT, the problem would be carriage, which we would have to charge £5.00 per delivery, but if people can pool an order for a number of tubes then this will keep the cost down.

I checked on the net and the cheapest price I saw was £4.36 and carriage was £6.50 so its slightly cheaper.

So if anyone want some e mail me at work at steve.marsden@archibalds.co.uk and I will arrange a delivery.

Hope this is of interest.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

hi whats wrong with the GBS supplied adhesive and sealant? Just wondered cause I have got one.

in addition, i am planning on bonding the panels to the body and riveting a few places. Do not like the idea of having to rivet all over like most people do. I would be applying the adhesive where panel touches the chassis. I have cut mdf panels to go behind them. I would ratched strap both sids for a while then rivet.

Anybody think this would be an issue? safety wise????

Edited by femster

Guest gixerboy600

hi whats wrong with the GBS supplied adhesive and sealant? Just wondered cause I have got one.

in addition, i am planning on bonding the panels to the body and riveting a few places. Do not like the idea of having to rivet all over like most people do. I would be applying the adhesive where panel touches the chassis. I have cut mdf panels to go behind them. I would ratched strap both sids for a while then rivet.

Anybody think this would be an issue? safety wise????

Hi Can't see an issue with the GBS stuff, one tube won't be enough though I used 1 tube per side for the side panels! I trial fitted the panel, positioned in place using skin pins to be sure, removed the panel, deburred and abraded all contact areas on both the panel and chassis, applied sikaflex to the chassis and the panel (in areas where applying to the chassis would be inaccessible) and refitted the panel again securing in place with skin pins and then rivetted every 50mm along the top and bottom chassis rails in the predrilled holes.

You should be able to see what I mean on the build pics.

Cheers

John