3a Alloy Question

Guest AWhite

Guest AWhite

I'm looking at changing my existing alloys Sierra/Orion pepperports fitted with 185/60/R14 tyres on 5.5J rims with some new spangly ones with a slightly bigger tyre. I'm looking at some alloys fitted with 195/50/R15 to give me a tiny bit more tread on the road. Most alloys now come in 7 inch wide now. I'm just wondering whether these will fit.

What size alloys have people fitted to their 3a's and got away without them rubbing the tub? Obviously the back is the important bit because the back wings are more difficult to change.

Many thanks

Andy

Edited by AWhite

I originally used 185/60R15 but changed to 195/65R15 tyres on 15" x 6" rims with an ET35 offset to give some extra sump clearance, fen roads can be real bad! I had to trim the rear wheel arches slightly to get them to fit.

post-347-058389300 1278962199_thumb.jpg

Guest AWhite

Thanks guys 205/50/15 on 6.5Js it is. Now I need to convince the wife and find some suitable alloys. Looks like the Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 are out because they come in 7" minimum.

The slightly larger profile of 205/50 will also correct my speedo as it reads a tad too fast at the moment. Here is the tool i used to work out the difference:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Guest loopyonion

205 50 16s on 16x7.5j. Perfect clearance, even for iva ! No scrubage at all. Et40 or 45 offset I think they are.

They're old oz alloys, chrono I do believe.

hi

Stick to 6.5 J go for 38 or 40 offset I have a 3a and the 205 section would just foul the arch I would go for 195's - mine clear the inner arch by about 2mm so the 205 wher out unless you lift the suspension by 1/2inch

The ride is ok on 50 sections but it will change your speedo by about 2.25%

40 section on 16 you might find a bit harsh but depens what you are intending to do

Paul