Diff Fitted

femster87

Guest gixerboy600

Hi,

You need the diff as central in the tunnel as possible, otherwise your prop will constantly be ovulating (for want of a better term).

I ran a line exactly down the center of the tunnel and used this as datum point, once I had the diff in position I then measured each point and had spacers made to fit. This therefore ensured from this point the remainding associated parts are accurate.

That said 0.5mm is not the end of the world and I defy anyone to improve on that kind of tolerance, I would hoever use spacers instead of washers though because it will mean you can improve slightly!

Have a look at my photo's and I suggest Shaft's even more so!!

HTH's

John

Guest gixerboy600

Truly a lesson in sex education today!!!!!!

I meant rotating out of center!, And I still think I have explained myslef badly

More beer needed methinks

Truly a lesson in sex education today!!!!!!

I meant rotating out of center!, And I still think I have explained myslef badly

More beer needed methinks

Very funny though John, very funny!! :spiteful:

The phrase your after is.... "it will be running eccentric" :vava:

To be honest though, 0.5cm (5mm) is nothing at all really. A UJ on the prop will run fine upto the point of

it binding on itself, so i wouldn't worry about it Femster.

Nick.

The important bit is to get it parallel with the gearbox's output shaft. i.e. if you imagine a line sticking out of the middle of the output shaft and one the same on the input flnge of the diff - those lines must be as close to parallel as possible in all three dimensions.

If they are parallel then the angles of the UJ's will cancel each other out and acount for any misalignment. If they aren't then you will have an overall angle in the joints and as the output shaft of the box turns the drive-flange of the diff will increase and decrease in speed. A degree or two isn't noticeable but get it wrong to any extent and the vibration is un-believable.

Iain

Guest old_timbo

The other thing to remember is that you don't want the prop. straight either. You need a small amount of offset to make the needle rollers in the bearings of the UJ run around in their races. If they remain stationary the rollers damage the races (brinelling) and the assembly quickly fails. However the straighter the UJ the more efficient it is, so there is a sweet spot.

Had a good chat with the M.D. of Bailey Morris at an Autosport show which opeded my eyes. Got some good info. on their web site if you like the techy stuff. Bailey Morris

Tim

Guest dinger

Hi,

You need the diff as central in the tunnel as possible, otherwise your prop will constantly be ovulating (for want of a better term).

I ran a line exactly down the center of the tunnel and used this as datum point, once I had the diff in position I then measured each point and had spacers made to fit. This therefore ensured from this point the remainding associated parts are accurate.

That said 0.5mm is not the end of the world and I defy anyone to improve on that kind of tolerance, I would hoever use spacers instead of washers though because it will mean you can improve slightly!

Have a look at my photo's and I suggest Shaft's even more so!!

HTH's

John

And the winner of the "post of the month" iiiiiiiisssssssss

John aka gixerboy,

please collect your happy meal from any maccy deees