Back Axle

Guest MikeD318

Remember that the chassis is not exactly square! I measured from each side of the de-dion tube to a good centre on the chassis to get it in the middle, then I measured from each side of the de-dion tube to a point in the middle and a long way forward to get it straight.

Guest Andy Rathbone

dont sweat it you cant see both sides of the car at once, wheres the problem :huh:

an inch does sound a awfull lot though. dont try and line it up on the diff, as the diff isn't in the centre !! be careful. it had me scratching me 'ed for a while before i realised. <_<

watch your back when lifting the tube and diff assembly if it dont hurt you back, the trailing arms have a good go at pinching your fingers,

"oh dear, i appear to have hurt myself" always a usefull phrase :D :D once the blood stops dripping on the floor :unsure:

Guest MikeD318

The funny thing is though, the diff mount is lined up perfectly with the widest part of diff mount plate. It may not be 1 inch, I can't remember exactly. I remember thinking at the time that I might get a wide spacer on the near side wheel and then not worry about the remaining gap. Is this the right approach, or should I be more concerned? :wacko:

Just out of curiosity.

When did anyone start thinking that there is a De-dion tube on any sierra?

A De-dion rear suspension was fitted to the rover P6 and the IRS caterhams but I have yet to come across a ford with one.

The sierra has semi trailing arms fitted to a tubular subframe.

De-dion has an unsprung tube bolted between the wheels forceing the wheels to stay at a fixed camber through any suspension movement.

Oh. I've been calling it a de-dion tube for ages now! Oh well.

Anyhow, just to clarify (and coz it's Monday morning and I'm bored :D ) here's the difference:

de-dion.jpg

trailing_arms.jpg

Ant

Guest Charles B

Some time ago I spent ages worrying about the back wheels being out. After loads of measuring I am sure that the alignment of front to back wheels is fine. The problem is that the side chassis rails are out of alignment.

If you look at where the chassis rails are welded up the side of the roll bar, you will see that one side is vertical, and the other side is slanted.

I just jiggered the rear wings so that the tyre spacing looked right.

The car drives straight and brakes fine so I'm happy!