Do I Need An Mot To Re Tax?

Guest jwaterman

Guest jwaterman

I am about to re tax my 2b for the first time since its SVA last year.

Can some one help me clarify a point.

Do I need to get the car MOTed before i can get road tax? Or do i have the standard 3 years MOT free period as like new cars? From memory I think it says first registered on 04-04-03 on the V5 (will check), does this class it as a new car????? I remember reading somewhere this may be the case, If i need a MOT i better get it done ASAP.

What do you all think?, Could this be a loophole we can exploit, if it is, then it certainly makes the £160 for the SVA a little less painful.

John W

on the reminder form from the DVLA it will say on the bottom what paper work you will need to tax it.

If it says a valid insurance certificate and MOT certificate then you will need to get it MOT'D if it only says insurance then no.

Check on form see what it says.

HTH

Mitch

Guest Fred2b

Just another thought to throw in the works. If the car is registered as new on 04/04/2003 does that means the engine emissions will be checked for an engine of the same date because there is no way a 15 year old Pinto will pass?

Fred :p

Ian

sorry to be picky......but

no you will be fine with the emissions as kit cars are exempt. i think it has to pass a visual check but thats all

Whether the vehicle has an emissions test or not,is determined by the

age of the engine,not whether its a kit car or not.

Cheers Ian

Guest graham dockerill

It's only a visual check if it's pre 1975 engine otherwise it's a prope up it's pipe and the emissions are checked on age of engine.

Guest ian luxford

sorry but mines an '84 and both its mot's (at different places) havent had an emissions test and both times was told it was because it was a kit car.

i am sure i have read the same on here as well. who is brave enough to do a search before jim gets here???

I remember that as well, because it's a kit car, it gets emmissions tested at SVA but at MOT time it's just a visual.

When I registered my car at Peterborough last month, the bloke said that I didn't need an MOT to get on the road, however next year I will need an MOT. If it had been made out of all new parts then i'd not need one for 3 years just like a new car.

Guest chris brown

If your car is on a Q plate it is considered for MOT to be pre 1975 even if it is a late car which has been imported (ie a 2001 fiesta but with no documented prove of year) but if it has an age related plate it is tested as the year of that plate. This was one of the questions that came up on my last MOT refresher course.

Chris

Guest jwaterman

Thanks all.

I will endevour to get my MOT done by end of month just to be on the safe side,

Hope to see some of you at stafford.

cheers again

John