Noise Levels Again.

Guest owenpilson

Guest owenpilson

when measuring noise levels what angle and distance from the exhaust are the readings taken from.

ive got a radio shack db meter and thought i could test my car before booking curbourogh..

well id better put the engine in first.. :)

once ive finished with it i'll donate it to the club... im sure it would be useful for other hoodies too.

owen

Guest Russler

if I remember rightly it is 0.5m from the exit pipe and at 45degrees to the exit angle, it is also measured at 2/3rds revs of where you get maximum power, so usually about 3600rpm.

Guest ian luxford

yep russler is right or at least thats how it is measured at nurbrurgring.

can you let me know what readings you get as i need to be below 95 to go there.

how much was the meter? how reliable a reading does it give?

I tried using a meter just like that one a short time ago, it had been calibrated less than a year previously. Results were 3k 91, 3.5k 93, 4k 96, and 4,5k 98 dba. this is with standard original S1 exhaust system, 4into 2 into 1 manifold and shiney tin box. Pinto with 285 cam. I think that the results were very kind to my car. So don't be too suprised if the official readings are worse than your unofficial ones.

Peter.

you also need to be aware that; Temparature will affect the reading, colder = noisier. enviroment, ie, objects close by. and worst of all, the meter is only good to +/- 2db. so you could read 98 db, and the examiner could read 102 db on his, (or vicky verky!)

:huh: can you remember where you got it from,apart from the obvious use it will come in handy to measure the other halfs snoreing level

Rizzla,

Its a Radio Shack device so would have come from a Tandys store.

Bit of a dying breed now though, although you might pick one up on the cheap at Maplin.

Try this:

Digital sound meter

Its £55 though.

Guest paul mercer

Rizla,

i too was worried about the noise of my cossie lump with a straight through 2.5 inch pipe. It's actually really quiet as the turbo acts as a mechanical damper.