Wiring In The Jolt

Guest The Modfather

Guest The Modfather

Hi chaps.

I will be wiring in the megajolt, edis, VR sensor etc, but I have a few Q's.

I understand that the jolt and edis need a switched live (ignition fed) but what rating should this feed be? Will they both need an inline fuse, even though the ignition power is fused?

I have also read that the shielded cable for the VR and PIP/SAW should be earthed at the engine block, but the Megajolt website shows that the shielding is earthed via the edis pin 7 and "jumped" to pin 9 for the main earth. Does this earth go to the block or to chassis? What have others done? Also, as the shielding is quite flimsy, how is the best way not to comprimise it?

One last thing for now, I am using the Ford thermostat housing which has 2 temp switches, I understand I can use one for the megajolt? Again, has anyone done this, and what benefit is there?

Lots of Q's, but hopefully I will be wiser afterwards :friends:

In the instructions there should be a fuse rating for the Jolt, not sure about the Edis (don't know what one is????) but I would be surprised if the need more than 5 amps. If you do fuse them is there ia spare location in the loom fuse bank you can use? If not make the sure the fuse holder (use a blade version so all your fuse types are the same)is easily accessable to check for any issues.

Guest The Modfather

Hi Malcolm.

The Edis is a black box of electronic bits that deals with the VR and coil pack, engine management I guess???? Not sure, but it is needed so I guess it is important, lol.

My Megajolt kit never came with instructions, I just followed the website construction details. I have read over it and I'm wondering if I have missed the "what fuse rating" bit, will check again. I don't have any spare spaces in the main fuse boxes as I used the one remaining for the fan switch, so it will have to be a in line one.

I've almost completed the wiring in the front half of the car, just need to attach it all to blocks to plug it into the dash. This is the bit I hate most, electrics. It all just seems a jumble of wire at the moment.

Thanks mate

Take it slowly, one circuit at a time. Double check everytHing with a multimeter and make sure all items are properly earthed. One a circuit is confirmed , label or connect it up, or both? I'v just done a bit of research and I'd up that fuse to 7.5 amps (it may even need to be more depanding on exactly what the Edis does.

Guest The Modfather

Hi Chris.

Yeah that's the one I was looking at. I just find it not very informative. It says the supply should be switched via ignition, not a prob, but is that best to do three seperate wires each fused to feed coil pack, MJ and Edis, or one main wire which is fused and then spurred off to feed each one?

What exactly did you do with the shielded cable? I got some stage microphone wire from Maplins, nice and chunky.

Darren

Having read the document there is nothing to stop you feeding all the items of 1 common ignition live feed through 1 fuse although it implies the coil power if fed FROM the jolt pack. It wont matter, as long as all are ignition fed (while cranking as well).

Guest The Modfather

Hi Daz

I have pm you the info I got with my Megajolt V4.

it may be of help.

The sheilding for VR & pip/saw is ONLY connected to pin 7 on edis and pin 9 on edis is earthed

cheers Paul

Thanks Paul.

I have replied thru pm, but I'll thank you publicly as well! :good:

Darren

Megajolt fuse rating is 7.5 amp

I have megajolt and EDIS running from ignition side of the fuse box with separate fuses

Shielded wire for pip & saw earthed shielded to pin 7 on EDIS, VR sensor cable shield earthed to pin 7 EDIS. This earth taken to earthily post near battery

EDIS & megajolt earth pin 9 EDIS taken to earthing post .

Strong earth from battery to block.

You want to avoid earth circuit loops that are caused by connecting all earths together before connecting. at earth point.