Removing Voyager Gearbox

speedtripledan

spent the last couple of days snowed in so thought i would crack on removing the clutch on my new voyager for replacement, WHAT a nightmare!

Problem 1 no manual available so it was figure it out for yourself

problem 2 some of the car has metric bolts some of it is imperial

problem 3 the bolts were so tight in places that i struggled even with 24inch breaker bar to undo them.

problem 4 some of the bolts were very hard to get to especially when a lot of force was needed to crack them

I can now see why dealers etc charge so much to do this job on these, are all front wheel drive as hard to do as this ? never done a clutch before on front wheel drive.

The one big surprise was how light the gearbox is i was expecting it to be type 9 weight or more but it was prob half the weight of a type 9 which prob explains why the other voyager gearbox broke at 150000miles.

now i,ve got to do it all in reverse and see if i can get it working again ! when i can get out to buy the new clutch

Wish this snow would go bored of it now!!

My Scenic has to have the whole engine and gearbox out as one unit to do a clutch, on the other hand my old Mark 2 Cavalier had a special tool to allow the clutch plate to be changed with the engine and gearbox still in situ. I think cars that are destined to join the "fleets" are reasonably easy to service and others are even bulit to be "dealer only" serviced delibrately! Or am I just a cynic?