Steering Wheel Sizes

Richard Grove

I am thinking about changing the steering wheel in my 2B from the Mountney 11" wheel that came with the kit to a 10" wheel.

With the 11" wheel I find that I keep knocking my hand on my leg when turning.

Has anyone tried a 10" steering wheel, what difference does it make ?

Richard

Hi Richard,

The 10 inch wheel only gains 1/2 inch clearance.

I had the same problem (Thunder Thighs!)

I just raised the height of the column by shortening the

"catapult" shaped sheet which the column hangs off.

This gave an extra 1 & 1/2 inches & (for me) a better

driving position.

HTH Bob.

Also consider whipping the runners off the bottom of the seats. That will give you quite a bot of extra clearance and has the added benefit of getting you actually sitting in the car instead of feeling like you are sitting on it!

Daz

Thanks fri the replies.

I was hoping not to have to go to the bother of messing with the steering column position as it took an age to get the clearance bwtween the steering shaft and 4-1 manifold sorted. I wil try this as a last resort.

I have seats from a TR 7 that are already pretty low.

The quick and relatively cheap solution to getting a little more leg room would be a 10" steering wheel. I was really looking for input on how this would affect the handling of the car. Would it make the steering heavy / twitchy?

Richard

Guest Julian B

Hi Guys

I think that this is something that you have to get right.

I recently had a minor agricultural experience when exiting a roundabout. The car on the exit decided that the back end wanted to go in front, with the effect of spitting me onto the grassy verge. No damage was done to the car, only my pride was hurt, and as soon as i worked out why the bloody thing wouldn't start (fuel cut out switch had worked!) I was on my way again.

I have had the car twitching around on the rear end on several occasions, but this time the rear end came round so quickly that I struggled to compensate (sorry failed).

I haven't had a chance to do any thing about trying to cure this problem but as has already been mentioned I want to change to a smaller wheel. Gaining even 1/2 inch will help. I’m not sure about d shaped wheels unless you have an F1 style steering rack that is less than 360 deg lock to lock. The other thing is to change the steering rack to a quick rack type. I have heard good reports about these although they take a bit of getting use to.

I hope that helps and to all of those who are in the process of building I humbly suggest taking time over the whole driver set-up as trying to adjust the set-up after the car is built can be a pain.

Cheers Julian Brewer :)

carjb.jpg

I found a 10" Mountney wheel at Stafford and fitted it this morning. It does provide a little more leg room (just enough) and there is virtually no noticeable difference in the handling compared to the 11" wheel.

I think that I will also end up moving the steering column a little before I'm really happy with the driving position.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sbfox
I recently had a minor agricultural experience when exiting a roundabout. The car on the exit decided that the back end wanted to go in front, with the effect of spitting me onto the grassy verge. No damage was done to the car, only my pride was hurt, and as soon as i worked out why the bloody thing wouldn't start (fuel cut out switch had worked!) I was on my way again.

Agricultural experience? I've experienced one of those, but instead of there being a field or large verge, a 2metre deep ditch was in the way.... The results werent very impressive.

My all fibreglass car (Jester) bodyshell was damaged badly, but luckily not beyond repair.

I tried to correct it, but i think the frontend just lost grip as well, and i couldnt regain it before turning 90* and facing this ditch.

:-(

I really shouldnt waffle on about it..... But i blame Big Jim for it, as he brought it up several times on the Wales trip! (my car is now a funny white / black colour at the front, with a yellow bonnet)

NODDY!

-Sam