Info On Best / Good Replacement Cam

Guest NEILH

hi all,

im looking into replaceing the cam on my subk 2L injection serra engine

is it worth it ??

what make ?? ( its only for on the road )

where is the best / cheapist place to get one ???

thanks

Burtons prob best bet... cam kit will be approx £250 + a vernier pulley if you want to get the cam timing spot on. In my engine it was well worth it but i,m no longer injected so a different kettle of fish all together...

Talk to burtons or look on there website "burton power"

Guest jasonmorris

Agreed, Burton's are the Ford guys, always ready to give advice too. Have you done any other mods, head work, twin carbs etc. Personally I think if you've got twin carbs and have done or maybe looking to do some head work then either Kent fr32 or piper 285 should suit, or if no head work and standard carb then maybe a piper 270 or equivalent should suffice. Just my opinion of course.

Jason

I think you are limited with the cams you can use if you keep the standard injection ECU, Kent cams FR34 is the one profiled for it, and gives more lift.

The injection head is the best standard one, this with the Kent injection head won't increase revs that much and will give a modest hike in bhp but the torque curve and it's delivery will be noticeably better

Edited by Snapperpaul

• 2 weeks later...

ok thanks for the input guys one more question i have been lookingat this

http://www.burtonpower.com/parts-by-fitment-type/parts-by-engine-ford/ford-sohc-pinto/kcfr34k.html

is there anything else that you would recommend to change also ??

is it really worth changing the the cam , will the improvement be really noticable for the cost ???

If I was doing an upgrade it would probably be throttle bodies, megasquirt etc

You would get more power by junking the injection, using bike carbs and a Kent KCFR285 plus a felpro gasket that will give you about 130 bhp.

If you go with the FR34 you will still need a Vernier cam pulley to time it all in.

Yes it will make a noticeable difference but I would look at all the options with costs, perhaps a Zetec would work out more cost effective

Guest old_timbo

With the Piper 285 cam and similar ones that have a bigger valve overlap than the standard cam, you really need to have the head skimmed to get the compression ratio back up to at least where it was to get the full benefit. As standard you should get 170 psi ish on a compression test. I've got a Piper 285 and no skim and now only get a pressure reading of 145 psi. Pinto's like an increase in lift rather than overlap according to some. So the Piper OHC134 Fast Road injection cam which has a more modest overlap but higher lift than the 285 would have been a better choice for me, particularly as I'm going injection and have supercharger ambitions sometime in the future.

Tim

An easy way to increase compression ratio is to fit a thinner Felpro gasket this crushes to 1mm adding about 1/2 a ratio this will push the standard Pinto to 9.7 to 1.

Cometic do gaskets of any thickness but cost £90+

a head skim is probably cheaper than a Cometic

10.5 to 1 is the limit for standard cast pistons and rev limit is no more than 7750