Zero Cosworth?

Guest DixieTheKid

Guest DixieTheKid

Hi all,

First i have an appology to make, im not quite a Zero owner yet but with my card in hand i want to be! So i was wondering of you could give me some advise please. I got a load of old 2wd saph Cosworth running gear kicking about which i've been meaning to do something with for ages but have not been bothered! Well that was until i came across the Zero, (WHAT A GOOD PRICE!) and they seem to go hand in hand!

Here's what i have got.

Front hubs

Rear carriers

Rear hubs

Diff

Drive shafts

Prop

T5 gearbox

YB Engine

4pot front calipers

rear calipers & slider brackets

a few other bits and peices oh and the logbook (so the makings to make a good kit car)

Now im sure that i can quickly bolt this little lot down onto a Zero but the gearbox is worrying me! Anyone ever put a T5 gearbox and YB lump into a Zero? My guess it that the Cossie lump will sit straight in as the block is pritty simular to a Pinto and squeeze everything else in around it, but i have no idea now the T5 compairs to a Type9 or MT75 in regards to fitment into a Zero Chasis? I have rung GBS but the guy on the phone didnt sound 100% sure so i figured i better ask the guys that have built them before i part with my hard earnt cash. Also are there anyother build problems you may fore see with and other of the Donor parts?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Chris.

Guest gixerboy600

Hi Chris,

Your best bet is to speak to Richard Hall at GBS, he designed the Zero!! And is one of the Directors of the company. Most of what you have should pretty much be fine but the gearbox may be a problem, switching to an MT75 could be an option????

Regardless though the Zero is a cracking car and a really good build, have a look at my pics, also Shaft's, Yanto's, Dinger's and if possible get up to GBS for a morning.

HTH's

John

Guest DixieTheKid

Southampton, down on the South Coast. Here John i feel a little odd wacking in a Cossie engine, looking around its all Zetec and Pinto. I'm i mad or summit?

Edited by DixieTheKid

As people have said, speak to the guys at GBS, give them the dimensions of the T5 and see what they say. If you're buying new from them they will probably make the tunnel on your chassis to suit the box.

There are a couple of 2B's out there with the cossie lump, it's a tight fit in them, so it'll be more of a squeeze into a zero

Guest DixieTheKid

As people have said, speak to the guys at GBS, give them the dimensions of the T5 and see what they say. If you're buying new from them they will probably make the tunnel on your chassis to suit the box.

There are a couple of 2B's out there with the cossie lump, it's a tight fit in them, so it'll be more of a squeeze into a zero

Good info thanks Steve, looks the way forward now. I better give Richard a called in a few days. You mentioned it would be more of a squeeze in a Zero, why is that? Are they that much smaller?

Guest gixerboy600

The Zero is a tad narrower than the 2B, although a much better car, GBS now do a wide bodied Zero but this is at the expense of a slightly narrower tunnel.

I am going to be in Southampton on Monday evening if you fancy a pint and a chat??? Staying at the Holiday Inn Express on Botley road ready to start a new job on Tuesday morning!!!

Cheers

John

(P.M me and I can let you have my number if you want)

The Cossy lump will fit OK block is as Pinto and the head similar in size to a Zetec, you main issue will be the turbo fit, may hit the steering column, may need an exhaust manifold making up. Intercooler fitting and pipework will need some creative thinking as will getting all that heat out.

All that said it's a really great engine, I would build it with a small turbo so it spins up quickly and reduces lag.

The last thing you want in a light car is sudden kick of huge power.

The cossy diff which is a LSD will be needed to keep the rear in check.

The T5 box is big compared with the type 9 and MT75 but the ratios are the best and the box the strongest, possibly cutting out the tunnel and offsetting the engine and box to the left then rewelding the tunnel would retain drivers footwell space

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

Ive fitted a cossy into a 2b its very tight. the throttle braket had to be shortend to make it fit and the turbo actuator tuched the chassis on the other side. Mine has the t5 box and i had to cut the gear box hangers to get it through. saying that its great fun and in a light zero wow hope this helps

paul.