Premier Loom

Guest john.camfield

Guest john.camfield

Me Again

I am fitting a premier loom, instructions say to fit the black wire to ignition on the engine loom,

my question is where and which of the ignition wires?

sorry for being thick first time playing with electrics.

I have traced it back and it goes to the fuse box connecting to a large Bk/yellow doubled up, do i take it that it goes to the BK/Yellow in the ignition switch,

But I already have one BK/Yellow wire connected from the loom or does it go somewhere else.

getting very jumpy on this electrics lark !!!

Edited by sealine

Guest john.camfield

The black wire goes forward to the engine and feeds the coil or ECU depending what set up you have

I put it on the live coil terminal, and nearly fried the wires???????

cant understand it ??? will check all the wiring again. talking of the coil, i have just one green wire coming from the negive terminal (green) which feeds the rev counter, should i have a negitive feed on it as well!!

Edited by sealine

I used a Premier loom and this is what I did. The ignition feed is Terminal 15 on the ignition switch, which should be a BLACK/YELLOW wire up as far as grey connector on the switch. I'm not 100% sure what colour wire this connects to on the Premier loom as I can't look at the car at the moment. According to the Premier instructions it might be BLACK/YELLOW (matching the Ford switch wiring but it could be BLACK/RED (more later) - I will confirm this tonight when I'll have a look at the car.

The engine spur on my Premier loom has a BLACK/RED wire which is shown as "12v SUPPLY SCREEN WASH" on the ENGINE SPUR listing but in fact I used this as the 12v feed for the ignition pack and also the horn relay.

This is one of the four differences that I found in the instructions, the others being as follows:

On the ENGINE SPUR page:

MAIN SUPPLY - identified as BROWN when in fact it's RED (clearly it wouldn't be BROWN as these are all earths).

STARTER SOLENOID - identified as BLACK/BLUE WHEN IN FACT IT WAS BLUE/BLACK

On the REAR LOOM page:

PETROL GAUGE - identified as GREEN/BLACK when it was BLUE/BLACK

The ENGINE SPUR page has a bit in the text about connecting the BLACK wire to the ignition positive or ignition pack, I ignored this as it made no sense at the time (may not even have been a BLACK wire in the loom), and connected the BLACK/RED wire as described above and it works fine. The only other black wiring on my Premier harness is one that is a 12v feed to terminal 15 on the dip switch (but only if you have the BG83 (switched live) switches - otherwise it's unused and taped up.

This is about my only criticism of the Premier loom, not having a wiring diagram makes finding out what feeds what rather difficult but I managed to get all Mine working ok by making the changes that I've indicated above. Fortunately I'm pretty savvy with wiring so it wasn't a massive problem but I can see why you might be struggling.

What ignition system are you using, one with or without the ignition pack? This will affect the rev counter wiring.

Keep asking the questions and stick with it - you'll get there.

Ok, just checked my car and the ignition feed from Terminal 15 goes to the thick BLACK/YELLOW wire in the Premier harness.

ESCII ignition pack wiring should be as this diagram:

http://nw.rhocar.org/ESC2.htm

The tacho feed wire, LT GREEN in the Premier harness goes to Terminal 1 on the coil (coil -ve)- also connected to ECU pin 1. Depending on what what instruments you're using, the Tacho is pulsed by this -ve feed, it should be all you need.