Dillorto Carbs

Guest paulrrh2b

Guest paulrrh2b

Hi

Brand new to this forum - So Hi to everyone.

Brand new to kit cars too.

However, i have just bought my first Robin Hood 2B - which is great.

It needs a bit of TLC but it drove from Oxford to Northumberland at the weekend with no problems!

It has Dillorto carbs on it. I am after any info on these re set up as it is spitting and popping a bit. I am good with mechanics after having bikes amd other cars for years. Just never come across these before.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Paul

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Paul

Welcome to the mad house.

I assume they are side draught ones, if so have a read of this.

Photo is a bit poor but the content is good.

http://www.viva-lancia.com/fulvia/qanda/carbs/dellorto.php

Just ignor he fact that the article is about Lancia.

One other thing worth doing is to join the club as we have a very active North West group.

The £15.00 will be discounted with many insurance companies.

HTHs

One other thing worth doing is to join the club as we have a very active North West group.

Ian, Northumberland is a bit far for the North West Group. There may be a bit more joy from the North EAST group though - or maybe even Scotland :yahoo:

(Did you not do geography when you wuz at schwwl?)

Si

Guest paulrrh2b

Hi

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

I think joining will be a good idea and chester le street isn't too far from hear.

Thanks for the info re the carbs - very useful!

Does anyone have a preference between webers and dellortos?

Cheers

Paul

Guest Ian & Carole

Paul

My preferance is Webers, more upto date with a better spares set up available.

Any time now the "bike carbs are best" boys will appear.

I have been using Webers since the early 70's and am a big fan.

If they are correctly matched to your power unit and set up correctly they are fine.

We get 30+ from our 4age twincam on a run, low 20's when playing.

Guest smegheadsteve

Hi there.

I went the bike carb route,but I was starting from scratch(well,ditching efi I mean.)

I thought it was a cheapish option,but ended up quite expensive after manifold,carbs,megajolt(not necessary though!)and rolling road.

They work a treat,but if you already have a set up,I would be tempted to stick with what youve got and get it set up correctly.

Enjoy!

Steve.

I used to have a pair of Dellorto sidedraughts when the car had a pinto in it. They worked very well with good economy but there was an old school tuner in Plymouth who knew dellortos. I believe there is little to choose between webbers delortos bike carbs or injection if just looking at ultimate power. Driveability will depend on the knowledge of whoever set the fueling up. Injection is easiest to micromanage, most versatile and usualy gets most time spent on it so not surprisingly should give the best drive. Bike carbs are next easiest and there are increasing numbers of experts around so tend to better set-up than webber/dellorto carbs. Harder to find experts with wide ranges of jets and knowledge for webbers/dellortos but when set-up properly they can be just as good as bike carbs. Often however they are not well done and it drives that way.

Injection users accept that any change to the engine means another day on the rollers to get fueling right again. My new exhaust last year. 600 quid + 300 quid on the rollers. If I had dellortos on there would I have taken it for 6 hours on the rollers?

Carb users don't tend to find a good tuner easily and don't tend to get their cars on the rollers often enough.

Nigel

Des Hammill does a good book on how to build & power tune Weber and Dellorto carbs
And Dave Walker does an excellent one on how to map injection. I hate paying 300 or so pounds on mapping which I think I might be able to manage myself but it's quite hard and you need a rolling road. I fiddle with the maps round the edges to improve cold start and slow running, transition into and out of idle, sensor calibration and a few other bits. You can do the same with carbs but not I feel scientificaly alter the running/accel base map/jetings. I believe carb users will always be at a drivability disadvantage but can minimise it with enough time with an expert on the rollers.

Guest Tim Norman

Getting back to the geography bit, Webers tended to be a Northern thing while the Dellortos were favoured by Southerners. Not much to choose between them other than the Dellorto'ss had a better fuel atomisation at low revs and were smoother at low revs as a result but mid throttle to wide open there is nothing between them. So in summary. South smooth, North rougher.............................and the same can be said about the Carbs!

Hi mate i'm in the north and running twin 40 dellortos....

I get them tuned at a place called motorscope in northalerton

He is brilliant with dellortos and webers and has managed to tune mine up to a very usable 180 horses!!!

Yep still get a bit of popping and banging but that's just part of having twin 40's and a sporty cam

I'l try and get the car up so we can compare

Cheers

Chris

Guest paulrrh2b

Hi

Thanks for that! Northallertons not too far from here! I'll give him a shout!

Just got the car and the last owner provided a dyno sheet showing 130 bhp so it looks like there's more available!

Cheers

Paul