Best Way Of Fitting Front Wings

Guest steve8274

Guest steve8274

hi all

what is the best way of securing front wings / tyre guards to their brackets. dont want any fixings to be visible.

also, what have people used to make hole for side indicator in these wings? dont want to damage gel coat

thanks

steve

Guest Larson250

I drilled the cycle wing bracket and riveted some diamond mesh about the width of the wing onto it. I then used Tiger Seal, making sure it came through the mesh and smoothed it off to ensure the mesh could not be seen.

Twelve months onthey are both still rock solid.

I just drilled three holes for the indicators, one for the wire and two pilot holes (just smaller than the screws) to attach them.

Hope that helps,

Dean

I have just fitted new wings and the old ones where bolted and bonded.

The bond was still stuck to the wing but rust had pulled it away from the tube 7 years use.

The new ones are bonded on using home made big head fixings

ie some Nail plates Link and roofing bolts Link through the tube all pre-galvanise so should not rust. This increase the surface area for the bond and seams very strong and can still be removed if needed.

Stephen

Guest peter2b2002

i've got long wings on my 2b and as like you didn't want bolt heads showing, so i bonded 2 bolts with fiber glass to the under side of the wings then drilled holes into the brackets to match , still OK 7 years later

peter2b

i fit mine by leaving the wheels on to get the wings aligned

stick sikaflex to the bars and get the wings where you want them

next day remove the wheels and fibre glass the wings to the bars .

you may need to space the wings off the bars to achieve the desired effect

but the glass fibre will retain them in the poss you want .

graham

Guest tommy holly

Hi sorry to hijack this post, but i am just about to fit new 9" wings on my 2b but they do not sit flush on the bars, is the best way to cut half circles out of the wings

Cheers tommy

not sure if your stays would be different to mine as mines from 2002 but for mine they didn't sit that well, so i cut some rubber strips to hold them off the bars. The arch didn't need to be cut then. My stays came as three pieces with the 2 arms needing to be positioned and fixed to the main part. I internally sleeved them and welded them in position -smoothed off and painted it looks like one piece now.

what i think is a key thing to do is get the curve of the arch to match the curve of the wheel. If you put it too low against the wheel the curves are wrong (well was on mine)

so i'd have a play around putting something on the wheel to test the height it looks best.

hth

Tommy

Fit with the wheel in place and space with any thing you can find ( i have used rolls of masking tape before )

so the fit is good and look nice then bond / bolt.

I used a ratchet strap around the wheel and left bonding to fixings for 24 hrs.

Stephen