Boost Performance On 2.0l Pinto

Guest joehale

Guest joehale

Hi guys,

I want to make the 2.0L pinto i have at the mo more powerful, I have considered a new cam, race or fast road?

Anyone know how much mod needs to be done if any to fit one of the new cams?

Also i woud love to hear any suggestions to what else can be done easily to boost power output.

Thanks!!

How much is your budget?

If you want cheap mods I would suggest a head from an injection engine the one with the egg shaped inlet ports,

A Felpro gasket

An FR 32 cam

Bike carbs

Megajolt

Should see an honest 130 bhp

If you have more money put bigger inlet valves in the injection head, have 3 angle valve seats cut in and skim to get 10.5 to 1 compression

Perhaps a cam of 290 to 300 duration with more lift than the FR32

Penny on a stick inlet valves.

Once you get past the cheap mods to my second level, you need to look seriously at rods and pistons.

To make longer duration cams work you need more compression, more compression needs higher octane fuel, more duration cams rev more so the rods need looking at.

Compression over 10.5 to 1 means Firged pistons

Longer duration cams with more lift usually need double valve sorings which need the valve spring seats cutting flat and the spring shunning to the correct installed height.

As you can see it soon becomes a complicated expensive build, I know I have spent a lot.

Zetec can give 170 with just a set of carbs

So I would say Pinto to 150 or 160 then go Zetec, I do like the idea of a Duratec next and while it's just a set of cams and throttle bodies to get 265 a la Caterham, it needs a sump, bellhousing flywheel, water rail and management not cheap.

Guest Chutney

I wish I had done my lovely old 1.8pinto up. I'm now into month 7 of my "quick" zetec "swap". It's no swap at all!!! It's equal to a hnd in motor mechanics and electronic engineering.

Seriously if I spent this much effort at school I couldhave just brought a catering van.

Now where's the fun in that?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest AWhite

Bike carbs give the best increase in my opinion. Although you may need to mod a few things so its not just a quick swap. GBS do the whole lot so you've got backup if you need help installing. This is easier and more effective in my opinion than a cam swap. Take this from someone that has pretty much done everything (well nearly).

The easiest performance upgrade that people sometimes forget is to lose weight i.e. lighter alloy wheels, remove the spare wheel (if you have one). It will also improve handling.

Good luck.

Andy

I have done exactly what snapperpaul said and have a genuine 124bhp at the wheels fr32, bike carbs, inj head, felpro and bestek ignition still not cheap cheap but will make your car fly compared to standard engine next for me will be zetec or duratec depending on how rich i am at the time