Seat Belts In A Zero

Thrashed

Hi all :help:

Over the weekend i started trial fitting the seats and belts. Thought i would take a quick look at the IVA manual and all seem ok, Bolts are 7/16ths and 8.8's.

Well got to this bit in the manual section 31 page 3 of 8 and have no idea what it means. I have read it about 20 times and i am no clearer. :fool: Can someone do a translation for me.

http://online.businesslink.gov.uk/Transport_files/124_IVA_M1_Inspection_Manual_Version_1010.pdf

Steve

Hi,

I think this diagram relates to Para 16 on the previous page:

"16. A harness or three point belt “effective upper anchorage” location must be at least 450mm above the reference point. (see note 14)"

and Note 14 is on page 3 (of 8 )

"Note 14: The “effective anchorage” is any point where the load from a belt would be applied, consideration should be made to the suitability of the seat to withstand the loads likely to be imposed.

See section 19"

My 'translation' is 'the upper anchorage must be at least 50cm above the lowest part of the seat cushion'. Since the upper anchorage is usually level with or just above the height of the seat back I think that rule is complied with.

I haven't passed IVA so this is just an opinion :) .

John (jwts).

Yes, it's all about establishing the effective height of the shoulder belt above the seat base. The seat cushion is not a rigid structure and has no standard rigid point to measure from so to establish one the tester has a block of specific size he places on the seat and pushes backward till it is in position. He then uses the front of this block as the fixed lower measuring point. He then holds the seat belt horizontaly forward toward the steering wheel from the actual anchor point or effective anchor point( if the belt goes through shoulder holes in the seat or over a bar behind the seat and assuming he asseses the seat or bar as strong enough to provide an effective anchor point) he uses this height as the upper measuring point. These two points must be 450mm or more verticaly apart. I think you will find the zero is designed to conform to this rule.

Nigel.

The holes in the seat for the shoulder belts will become the 'effective anchor point' height. This must be 450mm + over the squab measuring block. The actual anchor point height where the bolt is on the zero is designed to be 450 + but if the seat holes are a bit low they could bring the effective mounting point down below 450 and you get a fail. Unlikely but possible. You would not use the holes in that situation.

Could there also possibly be an issue with some belts of difficulty dismantling the belt to thread it through the holes?

Nigel

other point to concider , fibre glass seats or kevlar seats with sides ,

just falen foul of this with mine , the zero is narrow and if the seats have sides they wont pass

cos the side adjusters cant be used whilst seated in the car , need to have a seat with an open side .

graham