Computer Wire Help

Guest The Modfather

Guest The Modfather

Guys, hopefully someone may be able to help?

I have this cable post-4086-0-72611600-1303582327_thumb.jpg and it connects to my megajolt unit via another cable which has the female equivilent at one end and a telephone port at the other. When I built the unit I connected it in a bench test to my laptop, and it worked. However, I had to change my hard drive a while ago and now the cable isn't recognised. I have tried to find a downloadeable driver, but spent all afternoon and got nowhere extremely slowly! I cannot remember if it came with a disk when I got it, if it did I cannot find it.

I believe that it is called a Huge Pine USB-serial lead, but I have tried downloading so many driver programmes that state that they are right for it, but just ended up being asked for $24.99 everytime.

For those that have installed Megajolt, what cables did you use, and where did you get them from?

On the Autosports Lab site they recommend an FTDI chipset, but yet again I struggle to find something that looks remotely like this post-4086-0-58466900-1303582794_thumb.jpg

On my laptop I have a port that looks like the big end as shown above but in female form and with three rows of pins. The megajolt uses like a telephone port, but yet again, I struggle to find a cable with those ends. It's getting to the point where I'm soon to throw the towel in and give up.

The connections go like thus: PC-> USB-> serial (male)-> serial (female)-> telephone port-> megajolt

Someone please save me and my hood from splitting up!

Guest woolly

the 3 row d socket is the extra VGA screen plug.

how far from Huntington are you.

sounds like there is a bit missing but you say that you had it working before.

plug in the usb adaptor to the computer and go to device manager find it there and upload - update the driver. until the computer sees the usb-serial adaptor is a bit dead, as its awhile since i have seen my lead.

i thought it was tel type one end for the MJ with a small box and lead that fitted to the usb 9 pin adaptor.

chris

Guest The Modfather

Hi Daz,

Third result on a google search led me to this file

http://thydzik.com/downloads/setup-for-hugepine.exe

I've downloaded it then scanned it for viruses and the report came back clean.

Obviously scan it yourself to make sure but I'm sure this is the one you need.

John.

Hi Fozzy.

My computer will not download this. Says it's not available!

I did see that one earlier and it wouldn't work then. Not sure if my computer is blocking it, but then again I wouldn't know what to look for that could stop it.

Woolly,

When I go into Device Manager, there is NO folder showing com ports but it just shows an unknown device in com port 1. I then go into the tools tab on the MJL configurator, change the setting to com port 1, but it still wont open the port. So, I believed I needed the driver, so I have spent all day trying to download one. The one that Fozzy has linked won't download. I found this site http://www.wiretek.com.cn/download.asp?driver_lei=windows and have downloaded the USB to RS232 cable (near the bottom) and it saves as a RAR file. I then had to download a programme to open the RAR file, but even with all this my damn computer still won't find the cable.

What am I doing wrong?

Oh, I'm near Reading, Berkshire by the way

Truly *bleep* off Daz

Guest jhfozzy

I literally just tried that link again and even tried it on my phone and it still downloaded. It's only 3MB, do you want me to email it to you? If so, send me a PM

Guest The Modfather

I literally just tried that link again and even tried it on my phone and it still downloaded. It's only 3MB, do you want me to email it to you? If so, send me a PM

PM sent :good:

Guest The Modfather

Ok, thanks John, got it and downloaded it.

I had a look on the device manager and it is now finding it in COM4, but it states "This device cannot start (code 10)"

It shows it as "Prolific USB-to serial comm port (com4)" so the driver has loaded and there is some form of recognition, I think???

I have tried the USB in the other 2 USB ports, but it still wont show that the device is working. I think it's kapput.

I guess I'll have to pop down PC World in the morning and see if they do such a cable.

Thanks for your help and time, appreciated :drinks:

Daz

Hi Daz

I used a New Link USB serial adapter purchased from Kenable.co.uk. ref no USB-0039, I did get it to work but the port changed every time I plugged it in, I now use an old laptop with a serial port on and it works first time every time. Ive read that some types of adapters dont like XP or Vista

try these settings

You may need to set/check the serial port up using My Computer| Properties | Hardware |

Device Manager | Ports | Communications Port | Properties | Port Settings.

The following parameters should be set:

• Baud Rate: 4800

• Data Bits: 8

• Parity: N

• Stop Bits: 1

• Flow Control: None

cheers Paul

Guest The Modfather

Thanks Paul.

I just don't understand it. It worked when I built the unit as it was part of the build process to make sure it talked to the lap top. I had probs with the com port (like everyone does!) but found it and then closed it down until I fitted it in the car. However, I cannot remember if it came with a disc, I pressume it did, and I have since had to swap out my hard drive, but couldn't find the driver, so at this moment in time, Fozzy sent me Huge Pine's driver, and I have also downloaded Prolific's.

But I am now getting "This device cannot start (code 10)" what ever that is?

So I think its off to PC World in the morning (if they're open, stupid Easter Sunday) LOL

Daz

Guest The Modfather

I go on there to look for answers, but the header bar on their site blocks the bit where you register to join. When I refresh the page I can see it briefly, but then their header comes in. I can't even close the header, won't allow it.

Daz

Guest The Modfather

LOL, I think that's all it will have at this rate.

I'm sure like nearly everyone who has dabbled in the Megajolt, it will come good in the end.

I am so close to completion I can taste it. I was hoping for a quick run around the block this weekend, but it looks like it will only be me in my running shoes, and not in the car!

It will get fixed, promise!

Paul, I managed to join the Megajolt forum eventually using the wife's laptop.

Daz

Guest The Modfather

I bought a new USB-serial converter lead, downloaded the driver disc, and the laptop found it, so the lead is good.

Connected it to the megajolt, and the laptop is NOT finding it, just keeping saying "timeout reading cylinder count".

I've been on the Megajolt forum, loads of people have the same problem, albeit with different remedies, some as harsh as rebuilding the unit! I will give it another try tomorrow after work,

Has anyone else had initial glitches?

Daz