Quick Release Steering Wheel

Guest motokustom

Guest motokustom

I need to fit a quick release steering wheel to aid my getting in and out! I apart from being lardy broke my back some time back after a spill on a motorcycle so I suffer daily! I have seen all manner of hub conversions BUT I feel that you will definately get what you pay for with this kit? Please correct me if I am wrong! Any experiences? Anyone got one and can vouch for it? I see there are spline kits, ball bearing kits? ... bit worrying on that??? maybe I need it explaining to me!? I did read the hex is not a good idea as it wears quickly ending with a sloppy wheel fit.... I have a Mountney wheel and boss kit and do not mind switching to whatever anyone can suggest will work and keep working! I also saw some that need welding to the column... is this the best way to go?

ANY HELP will be greatly appreciated, regards Dave

I too have looked at this and have found several accounts of the hex systems wearing, unless you go down the the pro route of splined (and expensive) I think a bolt on adaptor will be the best option. I used to have a 'snap-off' boss kit in my tin top which was a good fit and was used every day for 3 years without wear but these kits will bring the wheel upto 2" closer to the driver.

there seems to be plenty of cars on display at the shows without the wheel on but I never found any of the owners to speak too but I'm sure someone will recommend a supplier they have used.

Guest zoomzoom

I have gone for a bolt on type which uses ball bearings. I got it to bring the steering wheel a bit closer to me, but havnt driven the car with it on yet. It feels like a strong bit of kit and I got it from rally design at the stoneleigh show.

Guest motokustom

I agree that the bolt on adapters do encroach on the space so maybe a weld on would be best for a permanent safe job done... mind you I need to find out but I reckon the SVA tester would not like a welded mod would he/she? I see SPA do a very decent one which one part fits over the existing splines and is welded into place a 5 min job .... or should be! Then the wheel is in virtually the same position as standard fitment.... I really need to go sit in the car and take measurements as I have the standard sierra recaro seats which I am sure are not the thinest seats! It maybe I have to go to some plastic or GRP ones which I am told are comfortable? Then see what I have room wise. It maybe then that the mountney small wheel I have will be ok as a permanent fit and I can get in and out no problem... so check once, two, three then spend! LOL

Guest john.camfield

Hi

I got this off ebay Item number: 170633866874 , and made a plate to fit between the steering boss and release, works great twist and locks in 3 places.

very happy with it.

I suspect there may be poblems with them and I suspect that the sterring lock won't work either. You have to have some form of security device fitted to the car and the steering lock is the most simple. The aftermarket steering wheels don't seem to work (the Mountney ones don't) so I would suggest using the Sierra steering wheel for the IVA and then swap over afterwards. This was the advice I got from the factory.

Guest NEILH

Hi

I got this off ebay Item number: 170633866874 , and made a plate to fit between the steering boss and release, works great twist and locks in 3 places.

very happy with it.

hi i looked at one of these , have you got any pics of the plate you made to make it fit ??? or can you make another lol ???

• 2 weeks later...
Guest motokustom

Ok to finalise what I ended up with: I bought a "suare" Sparco 310 used off ebay 70mm mounting holes (£50 delivered) £150 new. I then managed to get a used Sparco boss (£30 delivered)and I bought a pop off mount for £100 again off ebay new as in DT it was £140! see pic.

It all went together easily and is a very secure system. I did replace all bolts with stainless steel allen heads (mate owns a fasteners locally) shout me if you need bolts at decent prices members!!

post-8372-0-03693200-1308258197_thumb.jpg

Guest motokustom

Does anyone know if a welded unit like the SPA one would pass an SVA? Or indeed will any removeable wheel pass the test?

I opted for a removeable system as I am due the SVA soon and it would be a ten min job to pop the old sierra wheel back on should it present any problem for the test

Guest motokustom

I suspect there may be poblems with them and I suspect that the sterring lock won't work either. You have to have some form of security device fitted to the car and the steering lock is the most simple. The aftermarket steering wheels don't seem to work (the Mountney ones don't) so I would suggest using the Sierra steering wheel for the IVA and then swap over afterwards. This was the advice I got from the factory.

FOR SURE With the MOMO or Sparco Boss's the steering lock DOES STILL WORK... hope this is of some use... beleive me I tried about everything out there until I got what I wanted!

• 1 month later...
Guest motokustom

To clear up a point here : Passed my SVA today and with my removeable wheel on! They are PERFECTLY LEGAL so the VOSA examiner assures me. Only thing I had to do was put some edging onto the sides of the wheel inside (SPARCO 310 square) for the radius. No front padding. I have domed allen bolts securing it to the boss etc... Just thought it answers a "grey" area

Guest mower man

I ask is it worth 200quid for bling , dont get me wrong this is not a get at on any body but I would sooner spend the money on performance or saftey upgrades . My opinion only, :good: mower man if I upset any one I'm sorry

Guest motokustom

I ask is it worth 200quid for bling , dont get me wrong this is not a get at on any body but I would sooner spend the money on performance or saftey upgrades . My opinion only, :good: mower man if I upset any one I'm sorry

My quick release was not bling. I am a big guy and no way can I get into or out of the car without this modification! It was the decider when buying the car. I also raised my steering by over an inch too! All passed the SVA and examiner was happy with my engineering...