Bouncy Speedo Cable

Guest ScottG

Guest ScottG

With Mrs G suffering a hangover this morning, it seemed like a good opportunity to put some miles on the hood.

However a few miles in (and in search of fuel again) the speedo began behaving in a strange manner.

Upto about 40 mph it is very "bouncy" for a better word, it is not smooth and consistent like previous. Above 40 it seems to be ok.

It does this on the way up and down.

Any ideas?

Going to check all the cable connections now but if anyone has experienced this before it would be great.

cheers

Guest peter2b2002

I have the same type problem on my 2B, I think it's the speedo inner cable draging inside the outer, i've got a new short cable (with a terratrip probe on the end) to fit so the cable won't have to be bent

peter2b

Guest ScottG

A quick inspection reveals that I have melted the cable against the manifold!

So next question-

Where to get a new (longer) speedo cable from,

And how easy is it to replace the gearbox end- space looks at a premium?

Guest ScottG

Had a look last night. Bends dont look too severe.

I think I will try the oil trick first (best do my throttle cable at the same time) and see how that works out.

Cheers

Guest Ian & Carole

Had a look last night. Bends dont look too severe.

I think I will try the oil trick first (best do my throttle cable at the same time) and see how that works out.

Cheers

If you do lubricate the inner cable DO NOT put any thing on the top 6" of cable as it WILL make its way into the speedo head and make a right mess of it.

When I was an apprentice with Ford it was regular practice to have to lube inner cables with a small amount of grease but the above rule was always enforced on all of us "younguns"