Stupid Question Of The Day....

Guest MattyS31

Guest MattyS31

Hi All,

I'm new to the forums and to the car, having bought an S7 a week ago. Love the car, but went home to my Dad at the weekend, removed the bonnet and his first exclamation was, theres room for another 2 cylinders in there.

Has anyone ever tried to fit a Jaguar straight 6 in an S7 or 2b before?

Also, we have to replace our dash as it is in serious need of modernisation. Does anyone have a template for an S7 dashboard so we don't have to measure it and get it wrong 50 times before we get one that fits.

Many thanks in advance.

Matt

Guest snotfart

absolutely not cos it would then be faster than mine!

seriously though, i don't know the dimensions of the supra motor but someone here has done honda s2000 which i reckon would be a similar

height but shorter,get to a scrappy with your tape measure.if you could squeeze it in it would be a staggeringly fast car.

dave

In the dim and distance past tricky dicky put a V12 jag in an S3, however if there is to much weight up front understeer will be horrendous.

The reason 7'ns have the engine so far back is to get the weight in the middle

Guest snotfart

In the dim and distance past tricky dicky put a V12 jag in an S3, however if there is to much weight up front understeer will be horrendous.

The reason 7'ns have the engine so far back is to get the weight in the middle

understeer?

Guest MattyS31

Thanks Dave, there's food for thought right there....

Any ideas on the gearbox, was the type 9 chosen for it's size or are jap ones reasonably easy to fit?

Thanks

Matt

Guest snotfart

i have used an aisin w57 behind my v8 but it was not an easy fit needing a lot of engineering,to use a type 9 behind a jap motor

would i suspect involve lots of similar problems and the type 9 is not noted for it's strength.

go the easy way and use the box that comes with your motor of choice,the only reasons i didn't do that were

a - i could not get either an lt77 or an r380 for sensible money

b - the w57 has an excellent reputation and is very light

c - i like a challenge

dave

Guest MattyS31

Thanks for the responses guys...

Tim, did you ever get any dimensions etc for the supra engine, or ideas for the gearbox?

Thanks

Matt

Guest The Modfather

Graham B has a turbo'ed 4 pot jap engine in his. Cannot remember what car it was from though, that's supposedly very quick. Ask him.

Guest J-Bond

if you are looking for some japanese engines ...

look to

Toyota's ... 4AG (and all of the series ... 4age's supercharged ... N/A's ... 5 valves per cilinders .. black tops .. silver tops... etc..)

look too for 3S series ..... n/a or turbo versions ...specially for a 3S-GE Beams Red Top ... 220 hp's N/A full Standar .... and RWD ... but ... 60-70 kilograms heavier than 4ag's series ... and a little tall to use it .... but could be an excelent option...

both series got a lot of aftermarket ... in Europe ... USA ... and Japan .... (eBay could be your best friend..)

2jz from Supra mkIV ... line-6 twin turbo ....mmmm a little bit heavy and expensive ... but you got infinite power from this one ...

Nissan:

CA18DET ....mm... from RS-13 silvia's ... iron block ... cheaper than other options .... little Godzilla ....

SR20DET .... infinite aftermarket and bullet proof ... (in the downside of 7.500 RPM's) ).... a little beast ... and... the SR series is like frankestein ... you could change a lot of parts with another SR's engines...

and my prefered choice of this Engine series ..

SR20VET .... 2 liters -- Neo-VVL Cilinders Head ... and Turbo . :D with some aditionals ... you got 11.000 RPMS ... A LOT of torque ... and .. easily 450 whp's ...

Mazda .... mmm some engines of the mazdas ... and .. if you put turbo there ... could be a nice toy ...

and .. the Rotary one's ... light and powerfull engines .... mmm not too reliable in my opinion ....

Honda .... not too many RWD engines ....

K20 or K22 from S2000's ..... in chile this ones not are very common ... i don't like too much the honda engines ... mmm they don't have too much torque and go too high in rpm's to get some hp's ...mmmm and if you go for more power ... you need to spend too mucho money...

that is my opinion ....

actually i don't know too many engines so capable (small, light and powerfull) like this ones in the japanese market .....

think too in the 1.8T engine from the VAG Group ...

Guest Rx4x4

Vague recollections from the past re the V-12! The engine is not that much heavier than the 2000 pinto (cast v ally) and all tricky did was 2 full lines of louvre down the bonnet and a pair at the back/side on each side of the bonnet to get enough airflow round the beast, Plus wider wheels and arches and 2 fans on the radiator. It was built around the same time as the first V8's 1997 ish

Guest MattyS31

Wowsers guys!

Thanks for all the responses, whilst contemplating this seriously does anyone have any advice on fitting a bike engine? Was thinking a hayabusa engine, but a few questions.

1) Is this particularly difficult?

2) What does one do regarding a gearbox?

3) What does one do about a reverse gear (kinda leads on from question 2)

4) Worth it or stick to car engines?

Thanks

Matt