Grp Dash/scuttle Fixing?

neil's

Hi

I am considering buying a GRP dash board from GBS. looking at various peoples picture on peoples blogs it looks like you utilise one of the inner or outer dash panels supplied with the kit. I believe that this needs to be cut but not sure by how much, and which one, i am tipping it will be the inner panel. could somebody point me in the right direction before i go and butcher the wrong panel to death with my new air nibblers which i cant wait to use. Also could any advise on the fixing the scuttle would be appreciated, i am considering using rivet nuts but don't want to fork out loads on a new setting tool only for 6 nuts, is there an alternative to fixing them in place without a setting tool.

Thanks

neil

i am considering using rivet nuts but don't want to fork out loads on a new setting tool only for 6 nuts, is there an alternative to fixing them in place without a setting tool.

Thanks

neil

Covered in this thread

http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=25222&st=0&p=194782&hl=++rivinut%20++bolt&fromsearch=1&&do=findComment&comment=194782

HTH

Guest mcramsay

you can get a half decent setting tool and mandrel set on ebay for 20 quid, personally i have found rivnuts the goddsend of building my kit car. Ive secured the scuttle with 4 rivnuts, one in each corner, and then self tappers along the chassis rail in the engine bay on the firewall panel) for the GRP dash, it should fit into the sucuttle nicely (you will no longer need the outer dash panel if you go for the GRP) it will need a little bit of fettling here and there to make it fit. buy a rivnut tool, you have no idea how usefully it will become.

Guest mower man

Depending on how many you need to use, 2 spanners ,a nut and a ,correct thread high tensile bolt will do the job ,cheapest way yet !, but having looked at most of the available ones the dearest Mem tech ?is probably the best but it is 70 quid + mower man :good:

Guest mcramsay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Silverline-rivet-nut-rivnut-riveter-setter-/170645721685?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27bb471255

i use this silverline one, cant fault it at all. using a spanner and nut is fine, however its a bit hard to tell when you have actually set the rivnut correctly. if you use the propper tool you can feel exactly when the riv nut is set.

It is the inner panel with the tabs you need to use. I bent the tabs forward and then lined them up with the edge of the scuttle and you will need to trim it down so you have about an inch to an inch and a quarter to fix the dash panel to. I bonded my frame to the scuttle and also used counter sunk rivets very close to the edge. These will get covered up with trim so they are not unsightly in any way. I have also used rivnuts to fix the panel to the frame but you could use lock nuts and bolts.

It is the inner panel with the tabs you need to use. I bent the tabs forward and then lined them up with the edge of the scuttle and you will need to trim it down so you have about an inch to an inch and a quarter to fix the dash panel to. I bonded my frame to the scuttle and also used counter sunk rivets very close to the edge. These will get covered up with trim so they are not unsightly in any way. I have also used rivnuts to fix the panel to the frame but you could use lock nuts and bolts.

Cheers Dave liking the build blog looking very impressive especially with the sat nav install

you can get a half decent setting tool and mandrel set on ebay for 20 quid, personally i have found rivnuts the goddsend of building my kit car. Ive secured the scuttle with 4 rivnuts, one in each corner, and then self tappers along the chassis rail in the engine bay on the firewall panel) for the GRP dash, it should fit into the sucuttle nicely (you will no longer need the outer dash panel if you go for the GRP) it will need a little bit of fettling here and there to make it fit. buy a rivnut tool, you have no idea how usefully it will become.

cheers rivet tool it is then

gone and got my self a setting tool on ebay £9.46 inc next day posting and a selection of nuts for a silverline jobby . your right top bit of kit albeit a cheap one.now my scuttle is nicely secure and have got many more things i plan to use it for.

Cheer all

Depending on how many you need to use, 2 spanners ,a nut and a ,correct thread high tensile bolt will do the job ,cheapest way yet !, but having looked at most of the available ones the dearest Mem tech ?is probably the best but it is 70 quid + mower man :good:

Cheers mower man i did try this and being a bit stupid i did not use a high tensile bolt and nearly lost my knuckles. lesson learnt doh. got my self a new tool cheap setting tool and its done the perfect job and knuckles still in one piece and got my self a new tool to play with which is always good.