Wing Mirrors

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

is there an easy way of working out where to position the wingmirrors to get the car through IVA? ive read the IVA manual but i cannot understand it at all! all i can see in the wingmirrors are the wheel arches! any measurements/something i can put on the floor that need to be able to see behind the car?

Guest Alan_builder

is there an easy way of working out where to position the wingmirrors to get the car through IVA? ive read the IVA manual but i cannot understand it at all! all i can see in the wingmirrors are the wheel arches! any measurements/something i can put on the floor that need to be able to see behind the car?

Hi Craig,

Didn't I say something like use a piece of A4 paper in land scape on a pole, pace its center line on the centerline of the mirror, (same height). Now place the pole with paper on behind the car and set in the position as per the IVA manual. if you can see the A4 paper you will pass. The pole position is from memory 10m back and 1m wide of the car but there is a setout drawing in the SVA manual. This test is pole A in the current IVA manual ans is in line with the side of the car. If you can see the piece of A4 you can see the other tests as well. Last time I was there June the tester only did this test and he explained the target position and size.

Move the pole to the other side of the car to check the other wing mirror.

Don't forget you need a center mirror.

Place the wing mirrors as far outboard and as high as you can.

Alan

Guest Kennedy48

Seem to remember that if both wing mirrors are correctly placed, an interior mirror is not required. Our interior failed at IVA,tester said "no matter as both wings are O.K."

an interior mirror is a must. It won't pass without one. He said if the two wing mirrors are passable. The interior mirror will not be tested. But you need an interior mirror

an interior mirror is a must. It won't pass without one. He said if the two wing mirrors are passable. The interior mirror will not be tested. But you need an interior mirror

Follow your reasoning -- (IVA Manual Section 08 Page 71 Note 3) it does seem to suggest that even if interior mirror affords little or no rear view it's still required;but this non-compliance is what makes passenger side mirror essential!!

Guest Alan_builder

Hi Bob and Kennedy,

I don't think either of you are quite right. My copying of IVA manual section 8 Indirect vision.

Note 1: All obligatory mirrors fitted to the vehicle are as follows

1. One interior mirror of Class I

2. One exterior mirror on the offside of Class III or Class II.

Then we have the and ifs and buts

Note 3: The interior mirror must......if the interior rear-view mirror does not provide any rearward vision its presence shall not be required.

Note 5: If the vehicle has a rear view window fitted which is less

The vehicle must have an offside exterior mirror fitted.

An interior mirror must be fitted, (see note 3)

The vehicle must have an nearside exterior mirror fitted (if the interior rear view mirror gives no view to the rear or the rear window is less than 70% light transmittance) (see note 3 & 5

IVA section 8

Pierre failed at Yeadding on 1st June because he didn't have an internal mirror! The car had no winscreen and no rear window!

Guest Alan_builder

Opinions left -- opinions right;

I think the only opinion I have offered is that I think you are wrong.

Read IVA & do your thing;

I agree, Graig should read the manual and make up his own mind, but he has found there is no information on where the target height and what the target size should be for the wing mirrors.

we passed IVA first time with the equipment & comments as in my first comments.

Why did Pierre's car fail without an internal Mirror? (I think your suggesting Craig's will pas without a central if has 2 wing mirrors correctly set up?) Once fitted the tester was almost disinterested in Pierres central mirror, so I do agree with your observation once fitted.

Guest MarkB

It boils down to Testers opinion at the time of test, if one has passed one without a rear view he is not passing a car that is illegal on the road, he is obviousley crossing a bit of the mot system into the iva system, the mot does NOT require a rear view to be fitted if a nearside mirror is fitted alongside the obilgatory offside mirror..

End of the day, slap all 3 on and your not going to be failed for something that takes 2 mins to fit.

Page 77 - 79 of the iva manual show the view requirements

Hi Bob and Kennedy,

I don't think either of you are quite right. My copying of IVA manual section 8 Indirect vision.

Then we have the and ifs and buts

Note 3: The interior mirror must......if the interior rear-view mirror does not provide any rearward vision its presence shall not be required.

Now does that support or defeat my earlier post???

Guest mcramsay

bloody hell...opened a can of worms here...i will be fitting all 3 mirrors. i just wanted to know if there was a set way of fixing them to pass. the IVA manual is not easy to understand in the slightest unless you are a goverment official used to waffling on indirectly about what your actually trying to say. basically if you can see a pole with some paper on it 10 meters behind the car then jobs a goodun, if not move the mirror!

Guest MarkB

bloody hell...opened a can of worms here...i will be fitting all 3 mirrors. i just wanted to know if there was a set way of fixing them to pass. the IVA manual is not easy to understand in the slightest unless you are a goverment official used to waffling on indirectly about what your actually trying to say. basically if you can see a pole with some paper on it 10 meters behind the car then jobs a goodun, if not move the mirror!

:good: :good: :good:

"bloody hell- opened a can of worms here" that's what you get when you're in a hole & keep digging :rolleyes: Or was the hole made to make the mountain look taller? <_< it's all just an opinion I'm not an expert in these matters :unsure: Resting now with a small glass of Grouse, :drinks: so no more worms :wacko:

Guest Kennedy48

I'm only repeating what the iva tester said to me two or so weeks ago. So right or wrong I wasn't Reading a manual I was just correcting florin from something I was told.

Luke