Cv Help

Guest gazza1591

Guest gazza1591

Hi All

Well im being made redundant at the end of September

im have been with the company since i left school which is 14 years i have gained quiet a few skills over the years

its a manufacturing company making car components for the likes of lotus and Aston martin.

now i need to create a CV but i have never had one before and don't really know what i should include in it etc

just wondering if anyone can recommend a good free template from the net ? i have looked but there are lots out there

and as i say not sure what sort of layout etc i should be using ?

thanks for any help

Guest mastarforth

HI there

sorry to here of your position,

In my opinion it is worth getting one professially written, it makes a lot of difference in the way they are presented and worded and I have always had more interest when using them.

a good company for me has always been

www.ineedacv.co.uk

they ask you to fill in various boxes then forward to you a draft for you to comment on. I have given the details to various other people and backgrounds and they ahev had similar experiences.

I know you cna do them yourself (and I have), but ...... stands back ready to be shot down.

Guest gazza1591

thanks for the reply both

as i said i have only ever worked in this job since i left school which i suppose is a good thing shows commitment etc

i have worked my way from the shop floor to an technical engineer

i dont mind paying for one but would like to do it myself and save some money if i can ?

Hi Mate,

Sorry to hear your news - there is no reward for loyalty these days.

Was in an identical predicament to you back in February, pending site closure, 2400 jobs going.

Thankfully my company provided access to a company who took us through various 'training' scenarios, CV writing being one of them and what the 'current' expectations are that employers are looking for.

There are, alledgedly, 3 common 'types', depending on the type of work or job you are applying for, hard to explain here, but my bumph is at work. If I get a bit of spare time at work tomorrow, i'll jot down a few pointers and pm them over to you. If not, i'll get it done over the week-end.

Hope everything works out for you.

Al

Guest MarkB

I have to admit when I am sent cv's, I look at certain items, age, overall experience, relevant qualifications, time served in each employment, if they state very short staying times, I want to know why.

Basically, I do not want to know all the padded rubbish that people and companies put in. The best 2 cv's I had were from a couple of guys that went to do a cv at a relatives house together amd picked a letter template instead of a cv one. Perfect!!! As the template said " a brief description". Then " content"....... Brilliant... All I wanted to know in a 30 second read... If I needed more info I just read the main content. I employed 1 of them the next day, I put the other one forward for a job with another garage, which he got.

This is how I work and I appreciate some companies love the long winded stuff. End of the write what you feel you would want to hear.

The best of luck to you.

Sorry to hear your news. I always update my CV annually - you never know, printed on high quality off-white paper to stand out in the crowd. I have been involve in a lot of recruiting in the past 4-5 years and the most common format I see and the layout for mine is.

1. Name (larger font than the rest of the document.

2. Address

3. Contact details (tel home, mobile and email)

4. Profile - 1/4 page - Its all about you, character, skills, experience and knowledge.

5. Education and training - list in date order (can be differcult to support without certificates) don't worry how small the course was it demonstrates the ability to learn and apply yourself.

6. Employment history - In your case one company write in short concise paragraphs for each role you have been employed stating the year you started each role. Use statements like promoted, developed into, exceeded target/objectives, achievements etc. Basically sell yourself, you are better then the next candidate.

7. Interest and hobbies - Explain that you have a life and commitments outside of work, it tells the interviwer that you are not lazing and enjoy occupying your time (not a couch potato).

8. Additional information - i.e. Married with 2 kids, driving license category, foster carer etc

Make sure you support the information in the CV, and don't laugh practice interviews with family (the inlaws are great for this(devils advocate)) I still attend 2-3 interviews a year to find out if I am employable and to gain experience. Then you will be able to answer any questions about your CV also remember the interviewers names, if yourespond to a question knowing thier name i.e 'yes Simon' it works a treat.

Hope this helps

Regards

Mark

Guest gazza1591

thanks for all the help are company have the job centre coming in next week but not sure what they will tell us.

some great advise above.

i may have a go at writing one out and post up here to see what some of you think ?