Changing Twin 40s For Bike Carbs?

Guest holmestr1972

Guest holmestr1972

I have a crossflow and thinking of loosing the twin 40s and putting bike carbs on i am running lumenition,but need to know what type of bike carbs to put on/cheapest option.

Cheers

I have a crossflow and thinking of loosing the twin 40s and putting bike carbs on i am running lumenition,but need to know what type of bike carbs to put on/cheapest option.

Cheers

Hi,

Kawasaki zx6, Kawasaki zx9, Honda fireblade, Yamaha R1 are the most widely used with R1`s maybe the most expensive. The manifold will be the most expensive part unless

you are making your own. Then you`ll need to get them set up on a rolling road with correct jet sizes

HTH

Andi

Guest woolly

its a bit annoying as when i bought my zx6r carbs a couple of years ago you could take you choice around £35, now more like £80 added the cost of a manifold £120 ish and a good tune unless you do it your self its all become expencive. however it is a good mod.

Guest holmestr1972

Apparently so I am told they are more responsive and will not need setting up as much once correctly set up in the first place,and are more economical than twin 40s.

Was told recently by an older gentleman with lots of knowledge that used to set up racing cars and the early Caterham race series for Tolman racing that bike carbs were the way to go and superior to Webers, he started the conversation after asking to see under the bonnet of my car at a car show, nodded approvingly then fended off a Knob who insisted twin 40's on a high performance Pinto gave him 200bhp.

Bike carbs are variable venturi and produce much better flow characteristics than fixed Venturi, having run them for 3 years I like them very much.

Guest marsbar

Something to consider is that you could fund the conversion of the carbs by selling you old twin 40's on E bay, I have just sold my old twin 40's with Pinto manifold and got more than I thought, £360, which would help pay for nearly all of it.

I think the bike carbs I have fitted are more responsive, smoother, and more economical, and I have had both.

Good luck

Steve